Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8220 Flip
Accepted Solution

Uncaught Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException

Hi,

My BB 8220 flip has always had battery problems. Lately the battery dies after only 8 hours in standby mode. The last time it died was two days ago, and after four hours of charging it finally turned back on - only to have the error 'Uncaught Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException' showing on the screen.  I have noticed that now the Call Log does not work for Incoming, Outgoing and Missed calls.  The SMS has also mysteriously disappeared so I am unable to send and receive texts.  My address book is still intact.  I don't have a data plan so I do not have any extra applications on the phone, simply what it came with.  I have tried to reboot (removing battery) a few times, but the error has not fixed itself.

Any simple ways to fix this error, or is my phone beyond repair?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Uncaught Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Given your description, I advise an OS reload or upgrade. From a PC, you can install any OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload", it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. You can even use a different carriers OS package by simply inserting, between steps 1 and 2, the deletion, on your PC, of a file named VENDOR.XML. Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

HI and welcome to the forums!

Try the steps in the article below for resolution.

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB20476 Contact with an SMS number in the email field causes NullPointerException when opening the SMS application if there messages from that contact.

(Sdgardne types faster than I!)

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

Which software should I download? (Sorry, I don't usually do stuff like this so I am very unsure).

My phone's current software is v4.6.0.174 (platform v4.1.0.58).  There are two options to downlaod, I presume I should choose v4.6.0.502 (Multilanguage, platform: 4.1.0.100)?

Guru I

Hi,

I would recommend getting the latest software from your vendor to take advantage of new features

and fixes for older software bugs.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor

Hi,

I've connected on now I receive the following message:

The BlackBerry Desktop Software does not have BlackBerry Device Software for the device that you have connected to the computer.  Contact your wireless provider or system administrator.

Any suggestions?

Guru I

Hi,

You need to download your device software and install it on the PC so the desktop will find it.

Make sure you select to save the file when downloading, then click on the file it's self extracting.

Thanks,

Bifocals

New Contributor

Hmmm, I downloaded the file yesterday..... I will try again to see if it will work.

New Contributor

Just downloaded it again - Unforunately it tells me that there is an error, then that the software is not compatible with my device.  Should I try a different download?

Guru I

Hi,

Please tell me where you are down loading the file from what link are you using.

Also what version of device OS are you trying to download.

Thanks.

Bifocals