Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

Contributor
My Device: RIM BlackBerry Pearl 3G 9100
My Carrier: WIND Mobile
Accepted Solution

Unlocking my Pearl 3G 9100

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, its my first post Smiley Happy

Anyways, I have a BlackBerry with WIND Mobile in Canada and they provide unlock codes for their phones to customers who are in good standing after 3 months with them.

Question 1 - Does Unlocking the device void its warranty? (even though WIND gives it free?)

2 - How would I go about getting to the unlock menu

3 - How long should the code be? ( Just to be sure)

4 - Do I need to disable the radio before that? Do I need to have the other providers' SIM card? (I hope not, I'm going to Europe and I will get a SIM card there)

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Unlocking my Pearl 3G 9100

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

BBPearl3G- wrote:

Question 1 - Does Unlocking the device void its warranty? (even though WIND gives it free?)

No...but you would be safe to check with your warranty service provider...who also just happens to be WIND.

BBPearl3G- wrote:

2 - How would I go about getting to the unlock menu

Follow this FAQ:

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_unlock_my_BlackBerry%3F

BBPearl3G- wrote:

3 - How long should the code be? ( Just to be sure)

I don't recall if it varies by circumstance, but the last time I used one (on a Torch), it was 16 characters long. If, on your first, try, you are 200% (yes, 200%) positive that you entered it correctly yet it did not work, then try just one more time (to be 300%). If that still fails, then stop and contact WIND...you only get 10 chances before it is locked forever to it's home carrier.

BBPearl3G- wrote:

4 - Do I need to disable the radio before that? Do I need to have the other providers' SIM card? (I hope not, I'm going to Europe and I will get a SIM card there)

No. You actually need to have your home SIM installed and be up and running on their network. Then follow the FAQ to enter the code. After that, you can shut down and use other SIMs.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: RIM BlackBerry Pearl 3G 9100
My Carrier: WIND Mobile

Re: Unlocking my Pearl 3G 9100

Thanks so much for your help Smiley Happy