Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

Visitor
KTLOU2000
My Device: Not Specified

Won't recognize memory card

Hello,

I recently purchased a BlackBerry Pearl 8100 and just bought a 4 GB micro disk to increase my memory, however, my BlackBerry doesn't recognize the memory card.  When I go into the Advanced Options and Media card it says "A media card is not presently inserted in the device."  When I go to the options menu, format card is not even an option.  And I've tried to turn off the Mass Storage Mode and saved it and gone back into the Media Card options to format, but it is still not an option.  Does anybody know why the media card is not being seen by my BlackBerry?  I've heard that a software update would possibly need to be downloaded but haven't been able to find where that would be.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Aubrey_37756

Re: Won't recognize memory card

My roommate, her mom, and I all got BlackBerrys together and 2 out of the 3 phones wouldn't accept memory cards very well or recognize them so they got their phones replaced and we have noticed that the BlackBerrys seem very picky and only recognize the "SanDisk" memory cards. Hope this helps.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi ktlu and welcome to the forums:

Here is the correct procedure to install a memory card.

It includes a video showing how to properly seat the card,

Thanks 

Please remember to resolve your thread. Put the check mark in the green box that contained your answer! Thanks

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8300&message.id=18217&query.id=64220#...

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
cglasener

The BB Pearl is a piece of **bleep** phone. I recommend getting a different one. I had this same issue, among many, many others, and this is what I did that aactually fixed it by surprise. Take out the battery, leave your card in...leave the battery out a few minutes and replace the battery. THe phone should automatically turn itself back on, hook it to your computer during the boot up process and wait til you get to your home screen. Once your phone is done booting, unhook the USB cable connecting it to your computer and check for  your media card. Hope this works for you.
Please use plain text.
nicoarts

I got a BlackBerry Pearl Flip and removing the battery while the phone is on, leaving it off for 5 minutes and putting it back in makes the phone to recognize the microsd again.
Please use plain text.
bazley8
My Device: blackberry curve 8520
My Carrier: virgin mobile

hi i have a blackberry curve 8520 and was wondering why it can reconise a memory card sandisk 2gb micro sd card but will not repair, save, format  or install memory card :smileysad:                                     (media card cannot be read. Verify that the memory card is properly inserted, formatted and not corrupted)  thats all i know  ?? and help please

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pittbull3
My Device: Blackberry Tour 9630
My Carrier: Alltel

I used to have a blackberry curve and bought a 4g memory card for it that did that. I took it up to Alltel

and they put it on a machine that said the memory card was corrupted and I needed a new one. So I bought a new card, situation was solved.

Please use plain text.
Mindy7
My Device: BB pearl
My Carrier: verizon

It worked... thank you.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pritamjaswal
My Device: 9000
My Carrier: solo

hello i have tried the remove battery method and the bb bold 9000 recognizes the card then but when i plug it into the laptop, then it says that the "device memory and media card are not available because mass storage mode is currently in use". Then when I unplug the it fromthe laptop, then I get the message again saying that the "media card is not presently inserted un the device". It is inserted right now but for it to recognize again, I have to remove the battery again and go through the whole process over again for it to se it. thesame card works fine in my HTC. Any ideas so it see it all the time, The 2g card works fine all the time, but not the 8g card.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

@pritamjaswal

if I were you I would copy the content of the card to your PC, then wipe the card.

before transferring the data back to the card, I would configure Windows Explorer to display hidden & system files, and delete all BBThumbs.dat files ; there should be one file in every folder that contains a media file.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.