Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

Contributor
carcavelos
My Device: pearl 8100
My Carrier: TMN
Accepted Solution

how to open .IPD backup file in computer

hi, I have been trying to open the backup .IPD file in computer documents. One way to open files is with the reasearch in motion desktop manager, but I do not know where this is to open. Is there a free download that will allow me to read the text in the .IPD files? thanks
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
rapanui21
My Device: Curve 8310
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: how to open .IPD backup file in computer

Dear carcavelos: I have a program posted on my website which reads an IPD file and produces various text files / reports based on the DBs detected on the IPD. It runs on Windows and Excel. The macro and documentation are at https://sites.google.com/site/ipdparse. The current version is 1.7. I will be posting version 1.8 within the next two weeks. All my services are free. If you have questions, comments, or additional requirements, contact me (see email address on my website). rapanui21. Mike.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
carcavelos

Mike,

I am not very computer knowledgable.  Where is the tools in excel to go to macro and minimize settings?

such important information you worked on.  Should be a given to be able to easily read .IPD in computer.

the fully qualified file name is the name of location for the IPD, correct? i.e. c:mydocuments/download.

thanks for your help

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
rapanui21

When you have downloaded the macro from my website, just double click on that xls file and Excel will open and load that file. You should be seeing my opening screen which ask you for fully qualified name of your IPD file (among other things). You may have to answer an Excel security question to "enable macros". The fully qualified name of the IPD will be the location where your IPD is located. It will typically be on your "C" drive, so it will begin with c:/. It will end with .ipd. The file name itself will typically be something like Backup-(2011-07-11).ipd. If you can not locate the IPD file, you can search your C drive for ".ipd" and that will show you what directories and sub-directories it is in. Let me know if you are still having problems. Mike
Please use plain text.
Contributor
carcavelos

Mike, I am going to send an email with screen prints.

Thanks for your time.  I am now in Europe, Portugal and it is London time. I input 0 as NY is minus 5 hours.

thanks again

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
geoffgreenie
My Device: bold 9780
My Carrier: vodaphoneuk

Hi Mike, i have tried to access your site via the link, however i get a NOT FOUND error 404 message - has the site address changed in the last few weeks ??
Cheers
Geoff
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
rapanui21

Geoff: The website name has not changed. It is still https://sites.google.com/site/ipdparse I just accessed it successfully. I am still a couple of weeks away from issuing my next release. My mom had heart surgery Wednesday and I am spending a lot of time at the hospital. She is doing well. If you send me your email address, I will inform you when the new release is posted. My email address can be found on my website. If you happen to get a run time error 1004 when you run IPD Parse, you must change your Excel security setting to grant program access by VBA. Documentation in new release will document this requirement. Let me know if you have any more problems. Mike
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
geoffgreenie
My Device: bold 9780
My Carrier: vodaphoneuk

I've now managed to download the file and access your website from the new link.
I've run the Excel direct from Firefox Downloads and it opens with no problems, however i'm having a problem trying to get it to accept the file location address.
I've tried copying and pasting the directory address, manually entering the address etc.
Am i doing something wrong and just being dumb ?
ps - sorry to hear about your Mom, i hope she is recovering well.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
xdrumline1
My Device: Not Specified

Does this also work if you are trying to access MMS & SMS? 

Thanks

Please use plain text.
dime06
My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: etisalat

Mike. wondefull job . you solved all my problem , it works well , thanks buddy

Please use plain text.