Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

Trusted Contributor
bbbl67
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Wind Mobile Canada

num lock not working

I have a Blackberry Bold 9700 and my wife has a Pearl 9100. For the life of me, we can't seem to get  num lock to work on the Pearl. It was easy on the Bold, but the Pearl is proving uncooperative. I've followed the various FAQs, such as this one:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/15974/Typing_shortcuts_reduced_keyboard_...

They all say something to the effect of "for num lock, press SHIFT, and then press ALT". I've tried this, as well as the reverse where I press ALT first and then SHIFT, but nothing works. It does not remain in number mode.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
abit
My Device: Not Specified

Re: num lock not working

Same problem here!!

Did you find any solution??

My problem is that i cant kept the num lock on. I havent this problem on my pearl 8100.

Thanks!!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
bbbl67

No solution yet, I might give Wind Mobile's tech support a call today.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
abit

Thanks, please let me know if you get any solution. I think its a software problem, but here in Argentina, I cant get a solution from blackberry.

Thanks again!!!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
bbbl67

[ Edited ]

abit wrote:

Thanks, please let me know if you get any solution. I think its a software problem, but here in Argentina, I cant get a solution from blackberry.

Thanks again!!!

Looks like I got the solution here, thanks to Wind Mobile's technical support! The FAQ I had previously read, suggests pressing ALT and SHIFT in a certain order. That sounded similar to the instructions given for how to do it on my Bold 9700 too, so I got confused and thought it was exactly like on my Bold, but it's a little different.

On the Pearl, you have to first hold down the Shift key, and while holding it, you have to press the Alt key, without letting go of the Shift.  That's different than with my Bold, where I have to first press Alt, let go of it, and then press one of the Shift keys which will either put it in capslock or numlock mode.

To exit the numlock mode on the Pearl, you have to press the Alt key once again. That's different than on the Bold, where you had to instead press the Shift key again.

Let me know if this works for you too, then I'll mark this message as the solution here. And you can probably post it on the spanish language forum here too.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
abit

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, thats works fine in pearl 8100 mobile, but in pearl 9100, the num pad lock gone when you change fields.

If you can, try this,

1 - 

Go to write an email and acitvate the num pad, in my phone (9100) I can see in the rigth corner the "123" symbol, but, when I type numers, I can only type one numer, the next character is a letter (and the num pad is activated)

2 - When you are browsing a web page, If you have to complete 2 o 3 fields (numeric fields) you have to activate the numeric pad each time (or press alt and type numbers)

My problem is I cant kept activate the numeric pad and deactivate when I want. (like 8100)

I hope in your phone works fine, so I can think its a software problem (so version, firmware, etc)

I hope you understand me for my poor english.

Thanks a lot!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
bbbl67

abit wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, thats works fine in pearl 8100 mobile, but in pearl 9100, the num pad lock gone when you change fields.

If you can, try this,

1 - 

Go to write an email and acitvate the num pad, in my phone (9100) I can see in the rigth corner the "123" symbol, but, when I type numers, I can only type one numer, the next character is a letter (and the num pad is activated)

2 - When you are browsing a web page, If you have to complete 2 o 3 fields (numeric fields) you have to activate the numeric pad each time (or press alt and type numbers)

My problem is I cant kept activate the numeric pad and deactivate when I want. (like 8100)

I hope in your phone works fine, so I can think its a software problem (so version, firmware, etc)

I hope you understand me for my poor english.

Thanks a lot!

I understand what you problem is, and that was my problem too. The way I solved it is to hold down shift key, and then press the alt key. You need two separate fingers to do this, and the order of pressing buttons is important. Also I did originally try it in an email message, and it worked for me. Try it again.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
abit

[ Edited ]

Im happy for you if you can solve your problem, but can you confirm me this, please.

When I write an email or browse, for example, I activate the numeric pad the same way you post.

Press the shift key  ( in case im wrong is the key where the # symbol is, right? )

While press shift, I press alt key.

This enable numeric pad ("123" in the right corner), but when I change fields this configuration goes, is very frustrating do this every time.

When you type an email, you enable the num key, you can type more than one number???

And when you change fields, for example, TO, Subject, and you have the num pad active, the configuration keeps?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
bbbl67

abit wrote:

Press the shift key  ( in case im wrong is the key where the # symbol is, right? )

While press shift, I press alt key.

This enable numeric pad ("123" in the right corner), but when I change fields this configuration goes, is very frustrating do this every time.

When you type an email, you enable the num key, you can type more than one number???

And when you change fields, for example, TO, Subject, and you have the num pad active, the configuration keeps?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Yes, the Shift key is where the  "#" symbol is.

Now how are you changing fields? I can take it up and down with the slider touchpad, when I do that, the "123" indicator stays on. Is there any other way that you use of changing fields?

Secondly, does your "123" stay on when you don't change fields? Let's say you turn it on when in the message body field, will you be able to keep typing numbers when not in changing fields to subject or To or CC?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
abit

Thanks!!!

Yes, I use the slier touchpad. And yes the indicator stays in "123" but when you change the field you type letters (instead of numbers)

When I browse a web site, I use the pointer to point the field. That's other way I change fields. (Only when I use Internet)

Yes that happen to me. for example, 

I hold shift and press alt to activate "123",

I begin typing the numer "1", next I want to type "2" and, get "t"

No, the configuration is lost. But the indicator is active.

If I change fields (when is "123" active), i type letters. (I have to active again "123")

In my case it has a unusual o rare behavior.

Thanks a lot!

Please use plain text.