Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

New Contributor
stephenmoyers
My Device: Blackberry Pearl 8100

unlocking it from tmobile to at least at&t?

[ Edited ]

So I got a phone off of ebay that is locked to Tmobile, and all I need is it to work for AT&T for me, obviously. So, if I install the AT&T firmware on my phone tonight over the Tmobile stuff, will it accept my sim card?

I called and I talked to a rude worker that said I just absolutely had to be a customer to get it and I was upset, I'm only a teenager so buying the code isn't really possible for me. Thanks in advance.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: unlocking it from tmobile to at least at&t?

stephenmoyers wrote:

So I got a phone off of ebay that is locked to Tmobile, and all I need is it to work for AT&T for me, obviously. So, if I install the AT&T firmware on my phone tonight over the Tmobile stuff, will it accept my sim card? If not, <redacted...not appropriate here IMHO>? I called and I talked to a rude worker that said I just absolutely had to be a customer to get it and I was upset, I'm only a teenager so buying the code isn't really possible for me. Thanks in advance.

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Oh dear...an eBay BB...always a joy...

Installing the OS package from ATT will do nothing for allowing your BB to function on their network. Unlocking from TM is what you need to do. You can run any carriers device OS on your BB on any carrier...it's independent from which carrier on which your BB can ride.

Some reading materials:

Good luck.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

stephenmoyers wrote:

So, if I install the AT&T firmware on my phone tonight over the Tmobile stuff, will it accept my sim card?

No, it won't work, if all you do is install ATT operating system.

stephenmoyers wrote:

I called and I talked to a rude worker that said I just absolutely had to be a customer to get it and I was upset, I'm only a teenager so buying the code isn't really possible for me. Thanks in advance.

You do have to be a customer of ATT to get a free unlock code from ATT. Makes sense, right?

You'll have to pay for the unlock code just like all others, who can't get a free code from their carrier. If you can buy a BlackBerry of eBay as teenager, I am sure you can pay for a $10-15 unlock code. Go rake some leaves or do some work for someone, you'll have it in one afternoon. :smileywink:

And don't fall for any unlocking vendor. Use a trusted and reputable vendor. I'll recommend HorizonWirelessOnline.com as they have unlocked many devices for me with quick turnaround.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
stephenmoyers

[ Edited ]

I've seen those sites you mean, that get the codes for me. I honestly don't want to do that, lol I guess I'm lazy. but thanks for the info with firmware, I won't do that. 

JSanders

stephenmoyers wrote:

I honestly don't want to do that, lol I guess I'm lazy.

Wow.

One day you might have to work for something when Mommy and Daddy say "no more".

Better to learn now than later when it hurts worse to learn the lesson.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
stephenmoyers

Way to judge me without even knowing me. I have a job, I saved the money. I got online and found it then posed the question to them. Since I EARNED my money, they let me. rather than paying, I'll use some software to do it for me. And, please, think before you post a stereotypical comment without knowing the person.

JSanders

Stereotype?

The only stereotype I see here is one who is trying to get something for free. I've seen it too many times in these forums. It's nothing new.

lol, you are the one that said something about being lazy.

There is no software to do the unlocking. If you used the illegal and stolen multiloader software which I am sure you are referring to, you will likely join the ranks of those people with bricked BlackBerrys. If you're willing to take that chance... I can show you a hundred posts of people in that boat. Well you can find them yourself

I gave you good sound advice. It's your choice to ignore it.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
stephenmoyers

[ Edited ]

sorry, that I was hoping to get it taken care of for free, I'm not exactly rolling in money, so anything would've helped which is what I was getting at by my lazy comment. Just seriously, try to be respectable at least, I'm new to blackberries, and it'd be nice to have good help.

As a matter of fact, I wasn't referring to that whatchamacallit you said, but thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. I'd rather have a bricked blackberry than a paperweight/toy. I'll see how credible your referral was and use it, cept for the stolen part, how and why is that thing illegal? Jailbreaking is legal..

That stereotype was you assuming that I'm a little **bleep** that gets whatever he wants. And I'm definitely not in that situation. Think about it: if I were like that, why would I buy a USED blackberry rather than already have the newest best phone out there?

JSanders

Good luck.

Knowledge Base Updates