Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: update to OS 6?

No, it's not. You misunderstand the purpose of the file. It's sole purpose is to match up an OS package to the originally coded carrier. All BBs are coded to an original carrier...if you use an OS package that is other than that carrier, then you need to delete the file. Otherwise, you can't use it. But, at the core, the OS comes from RIM. The file simply adds stuff that is carrier-specific. It's much less complicated than you are assuming. The locked or unlocked status of the BB is completely irrelevant.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
aimaaditya
My Device: 9300

Thanks you are a BB Rockstar ! :smileyhappy:
New Contributor
Imjimmy
My Device: peal3G 9105

Hi, despite folowing the guide, i still cant manage to install os6 to my phone(bb9105pearl).

i bought the phone from a vendor in singapore and im using it in australia, so its a unlocked phone with no carrier support.

I've

1) Get a fresh download of the RIM DTM software (9100_9105Asia_PBr6.0.0_rel1479_PL6.6.0.85_A6.0.0.380_Aircel)

2)Download (to your PC) a fresh copy of your device OS package from your carrier [ i've downloaded the above version of the os since they dont have os6 for the carries in aust NOTE: i've delete my vendor.xml] so it should be a prob loading other carries OS's am i rite ?

During the instalation using the "Application Loader wizard" i came over a problem which i cant continue the instalation (see picture below)

problem1.png

any idea how can i get over this problem, im dying to get my phone upgraded.

thanks alot!!

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hello,

Imjimmy wrote:

1) Get a fresh download of the RIM DTM software (9100_9105Asia_PBr6.0.0_rel1479_PL6.6.0.85_A6.0.0.380_Aircel)

Except that's not what that is...the filename you have quoted is not the RIM Desktop Software. That filename is for a device OS Package. The intent is to download both and install both to your PC. If you only download and install the device OS Package, the rest of the drivers necessary for communication between your PC and your BB may not be there. This might be the root problem...maybe...so I suggest the following steps (insert plenty of reboots of your PC...not just restarts, but full power down reboots). Also, it is advised that you be logged into the PC on an account with full admin rights. Further, under Vista/Win7, use the "Run As Administrator" option for everything.

Further, it has also been reported that when your user profile on windows (type 'echo %userprofile%' in the command prompt) contains spaces, then the installer will not work. In order to solve this issue, log out of your Windows account and log back in using the local Administrator account (or any other account name without spaces) and install the desktop (for all users).

1) Remove your device OS update package(s) from your PC (add/remove programs)

2) Cleanly uninstall the RIM Desktop Software:

• KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software

• Some have reported that there are more registry keys to remove than are discussed in that KB...be sure to search your registry for any related to RIM

• Others have reported the use of a registry cleansing tool to also be helpful

• Still others have reported the use of your original PIM (e.g., Outlook, NOTES, etc.) installation CD, running the "repair" process, to be helpful in some situations

3) Get a fresh download of the RIM Desktop Software:

4) Download (to your PC) a fresh copy of your device OS package from your carrier (or your selected alternative carrier):

5) Install the Desktop Software to your PC

6) Install (also to your PC), the device OS package

7) Delete VENDOR.XML

8) Launch LOADER.EXE (not the Desktop Software...unless you need to take a manual backup first...but, if so, just do that and then shut down the Desktop Software...then separately run LOADER.EXE to install the selected OS package to your BB)

Hopefully that will get things going again.

Good luck and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
Imjimmy
My Device: peal3G 9105

Hi, first of all thanks for the reply, but i still come over the same problem.

Here's a brief of what i did

*My PC user profile's name dont have any spaces in it, and i have full admin control.

1) Did a Full Shut-down to my PC.

2) I've removed all the OS update pakages and BlackBerry Desktop Softwarefrom my PC.

3) I re-downloaded the RIM Desktop Software & the OS package form the givin website by you.

4) Re-install the Desktop Software to your PC & the OS package (Running as Admin)

5) Deleted the vendor.xml

6) Launch LOADER.EXE (program files x86 > common files > Reaseach in Motion > Loader.exe)

and still i cant manage to load the OS into my Phone.

Any idea what did i do wrong?

in the " Device application section"  under the APPLCIATION NAME it states : " the blackberry Desktop software does not have blackberry Device Software for that device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireles service provider or system admin"

Contributor
aimaaditya
My Device: 9300

Use a different PC :smileyvery-happy:
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Imjimmy wrote:

Any idea what did i do wrong?

in the " Device application section"  under the APPLCIATION NAME it states : " the blackberry Desktop software does not have blackberry Device Software for that device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireles service provider or system admin"

First...thanks for the excellent reply! Perfect! The only thing I can think is that somehow the exact model BB you are using is not proper for the OS package you have downloaded. You should try an OS package from a different carrier.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates