Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Pearl™

My Device: Not Specified

why is my blackberry 8100 so slow...?

Not sure - but my blackberry suddenly became very slow in processing caommands etc especially inputting/typing  SMS messages - it can't keep up with my typing and the hour glass is constanly on for lots of commands...the phone sometimes takes ages to pick up a call so when they call they think that it has switched to answer phone because of a silent pause before they can hear me....help...?
Trusted Contributor
My Device: 8100 8300 8700 8800

Re: why is my blackberry 8100 so slow...?

First thing is with the Blackberry turrned on, pull the battery and try it again. This solves many issues such as this that you are having.
New to a Blackberry? Check out http://www.discoverblackberry.com
New Contributor

Re: why is my blackberry 8100/8330 so slow...?

I'm having the same problem with my blackberry curve.  I've taken the battery out several times to no avail.  Anyone have any other suggestions? 

Forums Advisor III
My Device: AT&T BOLD OS 4.6.0.167

This usually happens when your device is low on memory. The phone can't keep up. Click on your options icon and then click status, post your file free and file total numbers here. Then we can help you further.
~Lorrie~ Master of All Things Blackberry!
New Contributor

Hi,

Sorry I forgot to say that I didn't think it was a memory issue either.  My numbers are:

file free 32664419

file total 83623836

Any ideas/suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi and welcome to the forums,

Are those numbers from after the battery pull?

Also go to options status and send the battery charge percent.

Thanks

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your help.  I just pulled the battery again and the numbers are:

Battery: 90%

File Free: 34636721

File Total: 83623936

Also, does anyone have a suggestion as to how many "number of previous items" is a good amount for the SMS text messages?  I like to keep all my messages in the same thread like my Treo did but maybe that's a problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated since Sprint is NO help!

Thanks!

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi

Those numbers look good. However that is after a battery pull, which resets the device.

I do not know your experience level, so if you know this I'm sorry but please read and let me

know if this applies.

Most people close the applications by pressing the escape or red key. This does not close the applications.

Each application has a CLOSE option. For instance if you are in the calendar hit the menu key (spotted key) and scroll down to the bottom CLOSE is listed. Go through each application and press close. Go into the browser press menu and options select cache operations clear all categories and hit escape it will say cleaning memory.

If you have this option use it. Go to options - security - memory cleaning - enable it. The BB will now clean memory when idle for 5 minutes.

you will have an icon on you screen for memory cleaning make sure you press it. Make sure you use the CLOSE button each time you are done with an application.

What may be happening is that your free memory at the time of the occurrences if really low, If that is the fact, the BB will delete the items you mentioned in "self defense" mode. When you have this happen check your file free numbers immediately, to see if it's low.

This link references maximizing memory, and address keeping messages.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB14320&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

Thanks

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

ok,

so i'm experiencing the same problems - my blackberry is slow, and its loosing messages.... really frustrating as i have just recieved a new one and its the same as my old one.

I am a complete novice with this thing; i wanted to transfer data from my old phone to my new - all i wanted was the darn phone book / contacts. seems i might have brought a load of crap across....

please help!!

New Contributor

Re: why is my blackberry 8100 so slow...?

[ Edited ]

Mine's really slow too, it got slower when I changed the theme from the AT&T theme to the blackberry (BB Dimension Zen) theme that came with the phone, which doesn't make sense since you'd think blackberry wouldn't make a theme that's slow..

here's my numbers at this moment

50% battery

File Free:     11010788

File Total:    64356352

seems to me there's not much room left in the memory, but I don't really have many applications... so I don't know whats taking up so much... is it the messages and how many I let it hold?  thats the only thing I can think of...

Message Edited by Stone804 on 12-04-2008 08:01 PM