Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
georgpheheise
My Device: Bold 9900

Flood of new apps - good or the pure horror

we are all happy that Alec Saunders and his team could get sooo many people to port their apps to BB but now the problem starts: 

The market is flooded with useless and horrible apps and you gave them a PB for that. 

The idea was good - really but now we need a system that eliminates the trash-apps.

In interviews RIM always said that it is more about quality then quantity. but right now I see more quantity than quality.

and why don't we see more apps from Gameloft and co who are actully one of your big partners? 

still the same 9 apps (games) we had before christmas. :smileysad:

Product Manager
mclewley
My Device: BlackBerry 9900

Re: Flood of new apps - good or the pure horror

We still get a great influx of applications and some really good titles.   You are of course touching on the challenge of any application stores of course.   With PlayBook OS 2.0 we updated App World to help try and highlight some of the great apps that you can download and hopefully that has improved your experience. 

Michael Clewley
Senior Product Manager, BlackBerry Software
Research In Motion
Contributor
georgpheheise

just one of my crazy thought : 

why not being the first app store that kicks apps?

If to many users give a bad ranking and 95% or so say bad app - it gets kicked.

also would be cool to see how many times an app had been downloaded.

Product Manager
mclewley

User ratings is definitely a method that allows you guys to tell others what you really think of apps!

Michael Clewley
Senior Product Manager, BlackBerry Software
Research In Motion
Developer
falo
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: 3

It's good for helping a purchase decision, but I agree that it would be better if a certain low level of feedback triggered a review process - as a developer you can either release a new version and up the stats within a certain period, or you can GTFO.

One thing RIM could certainly do would be to review their position with larger publishers. I've seen a lot of noise on the developer forums over Handster publishing tons of (sometimes not theirs to publish) apps. They then flood the searches with Handster published apps, many of which have very low reviews that I imagine stem from them just plain not working. I've seen one or two mentions that there was an agreement between Handster and RIM to get apps pushed onto App World - if that's the case, surely there was a quality control measure as part of that?!
-------
You can find me (sporadically) writing and developing at http://floor4.co.uk and gaming at http://uk-tf.co.uk
My Apps: Flip!
New Contributor
shreem-79662
My Device: Playbook

But As per Alec Saunders "review management is up to the vendor. some are less scrupulous than others." So do you really think user rating would genuinly help us

mclewley wrote:

User ratings is definitely a method that allows you guys to tell others what you really think of apps!

Contributor
georgpheheise

RIM should be able to make something that is unique for the app market right now.

Right now they are just another brig in the wall - but that's not what they need.

Apple judges over apps - sexual content is not allowed

Google does not judge at all

and RIM

maybe they should judge over bad apps and keep appworld professional and simple.

What is in is good - if you are not good enough you have to fix it or you get kicked out of the circle of the appworld for professionals and users who don't like badly designed apps. 

Contributor
chucklebutte
My Device: Torch 9810 Playbook 16GB x3

[ Edited ]

So many third party apps have trashed my phone, this professional app world only with only top shelfs apps sounds like paradise!

Also batch reinstall of uninstalled apps would make life so much easier for when I have to reload or when an update occurs. Why Desktop Manager does not back up third party apps is beyond me, just seems like something that should be there. 4-6 hours to load an OS, load a back up file, then reinstall each app one at a time is just a little daunting..

Yes batch install can be done through an x86 version of IE (Not everyone uses IE! Or x86! Or Windows! Unsupported OS error messages are always disheartning.) but it is not always accurate, lots of apps just don't show up, and it is a process which must be repeated, not every app you select always installs.

***Also instead of "hide" for uninstalled apps why can't we delete them? My Blackberry phone and tablet are tools, I like to keep my tools as clean as possible, and nothing is worse than a cluttered uninstall list. =O

#Curve8900 #Torch9800 #Torch9810 #Playbook #DevAlphaB
#TeamBlackBerry ☑ #BlackBerryFanNight2012 ☑ #BBJamAmericas ☑ #BlackBerryFOTM ☐
Contributor
Chriswillems

I agree with this. A lot of apps are completely useless and not workable. Hence, I want to get rid of them and re-install when I back up my device.

Contributor
georgpheheise

that is an other topic but I agree