Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Trusted Contributor
greggov
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Multiple devices + 1 BBID

This is something I've seen a lot of in various other forums, but I don't know if it's just a bug or whatnot.

It seems like the BBID is tied to a device, which makes sense. But you can't have multiple devices use the same BBID, kind of like the Apple ID. It sounds like parents will buy one for a spouse or children so they can video chat while one of them travels, but it can't since it's the same BBID. Or if a parent wants to buy apps on one PlayBook and have them work on the childs PlayBook without repurchasing all of them. With iOS, i believe you can have up to 5 devices authorized per Apple ID, and songs and games and apps and whatever else will sync across devices. I think something like this needs to be brough to BBX (I refuse to call it BB10 :smileytongue: )

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jpgrove
My Device: Torch 9800 PlayBook OS2
My Carrier: Orange UK

Re: Multiple devices + 1 BBID

Not sure i understand this, my BB Torch and my Playbook use the same blackberry ID which is my blackberry email address. The only issue i have is that i can only access those emails via bridge, not really a problem.

I am to understand that i shouldn't have been able to use my BB ID from my BB Torch on my Playbook?
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
greggov
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

jpgrove wrote:
Not sure i understand this, my BB Torch and my Playbook use the same blackberry ID which is my blackberry email address. The only issue i have is that i can only access those emails via bridge, not really a problem.

I am to understand that i shouldn't have been able to use my BB ID from my BB Torch on my Playbook?

No, that should work. I gues it's more of a multiple PlayBook per ID kind of thing. I'm not 100% sure since I haven't experienced this yet, but from my understanding multiple PlayBooks cannot be used on the same ID. I've seen this enough around the web that I wanted to bring it up here and get Michael's thoughts on this.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jpgrove
My Device: Torch 9800 PlayBook OS2
My Carrier: Orange UK

Yeah i see what you me, the same device with the same ID. I suppose it relates the way the unit functions, if 2 devices have the same BB ID maybe this would cause all sorts of problems with AppWorld, Email etc? Although i thought the device pin would have been a better way to identify units?
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

My torch, Playbook 64 gig and Son's Playbook 16 gig are on the same BBID and we share games that I have purchased.

When using the playbook in app world we have to say yes switching and if done too mnay times BBID will lock out at some point.

Vid chat is another issue with this but you can chat by PIN so long as both are on separate WiFi routers. The BBID only works on the playbook that is assoicated with BBID last.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Product Manager
mclewley
My Device: BlackBerry 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

Although BBID can be signed into as many devices as a user wants, individual apps that use it may have other restrictions for their own reasons. For example:

• App World supports one simultaneous BBOS device and one PlayBook, and only 5 switches each per year (a maximum of 15 unique device switches per product line per year)
  • Video Chat requests can only be received by one PlayBook at a time. If multiple PlayBooks are using the same BlackBerry ID, only one of them will receive an incoming Video Chat request. Connectivity will be sporadic between any active PlayBooks using the same BlackBerry ID.
  • On BB7, email addresses may be ported to a device via BBID only one device at a time
  • BBM only runs on one device at a time
  • A BIS account is associated with a single billing identifier only eg: SIM, ICCID, IMSI and MSISDN. This means that if you are using 2 smartphones and 2 billing Identifiers (SIMs) you will have 2 separate BIS accounts and will have to integrate your email addresses separately.

The product team is aware of these limitations. Hopefully we’ll have an update on this sometime down the road. For more information, take a look at the following article: KB28543.

Michael Clewley
Senior Product Manager, BlackBerry Software
Research In Motion
Please use plain text.