Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Native email, contacts, etc slow down over time

Hi Michael and thanks for participating in this insider event!

I've noticed that if you spend any considerable time in the native PIN apps, they begin to slow down over time, taking considerably longer to do things like editing contacts, flipping through emails, etc.  It basically looks like the PlayBook may be running out of memory.

Should we expect this to improve in future updates?  Or is there anything we can do to help with this issue on our end outside of having to close and then reopen the app?

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Product Manager
mclewley
My Device: BlackBerry 9900

Re: Native email, contacts, etc slow down over time

We will have updates that improve the overall experience and quality of the PlayBook OS that said I spend a ton of time in those apps and can't say that I've noticed changes to the experience.   Do you tend to have a lot of other apps up and running?

Michael Clewley
Senior Product Manager, BlackBerry Software
Research In Motion
Trusted Contributor
greggov

Krypto wrote:

Hi Michael and thanks for participating in this insider event!

I've noticed that if you spend any considerable time in the native PIN apps, they begin to slow down over time, taking considerably longer to do things like editing contacts, flipping through emails, etc.  It basically looks like the PlayBook may be running out of memory.

Should we expect this to improve in future updates?  Or is there anything we can do to help with this issue on our end outside of having to close and then reopen the app?

I've noticed the same exact thing - I think I even mentioned it to John in an email. 

I will have only Contacts open trying to delete hundreds one by one (said this in another post, but I would love an option to select multiple and delete them). Eventually the app starts consuming a ton of memory (from about 550+MB free to about 70mb free) it will slow down to where it's very difficult to use, and I've had it force quit on me several times already. When it closes it frees the memory, but it is a memory hog.

Elite I
Krypto

[ Edited ]

It's usually the only app open. I noticed it initially in the contacts app as I had to spend a considerable amount of time cleaning up my imported contacts and linking contacts, etc. It was fine for the first little while, but slowed down after the 15th contact or so and got progressively slower.

As a heads up, I've got a 64Gb model and had used the debricked method to reload the OS after experiencing an issue I couldn't easily resolve, so everything should have been as clear as could have been.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Product Manager
mclewley
My Device: BlackBerry 9900

Internally we have folks who have thousands of contacts, look at Alec Saunders he has over 6000 Twitter followers alone!    That said I have circulated this forum posting with our engineering teams and we are going to look deeper into this matter. 

Michael Clewley
Senior Product Manager, BlackBerry Software
Research In Motion
Trusted Contributor
greggov

I'm still pushing for an option, like in messages, to select multiples. I know Alec follows over 2,000 people, but I assume he doesn't need a majority of them in his contacts list. Who am I to say though, maybe he does... I can only speak for myself.

I only follow roughly 300 people, and about 250 of them I don't want in my contacts - newsfeeds, blogs, brands, etc... "People" that I consume media from, but I don't need to send them messages - I want them gone. Same with Facebook. I have a lot of friends, and most of them I don't converse with on a regular basis. I want them gone as well. And deleteing everything one by one is rather tedious, and as Krypto mentioned, consumes a lot of memory over time. I've had to close the app several times while I was in the process of cleaning up my contacts. 

Elite I
Krypto

Perfect, thanks Michael, and if you need to touch base with us further, feel free to do so. Bodee can put you in direct contact with me. :smileyhappy: