Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Trusted Contributor
BB4matt
My Device: Z30, Torch 9800, Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

Playbook's Open Future Imagined

Hello Michael,

I often read these replies from you: “Unfortunately I'm unable to comment on future software features.”

You are the Product Manager and who tells you not to tell us. Why is there such secrecy? Who does set this policy at RIM? Is RIM afraid of being sued if one option does not appear as promised? Are you afraid of your competition to find out what's cooking at RIM? Let the public know that you operate under the 80/20 rule. If 80% is delivered of what you might reveal that is fair game. There should be a clause which protects you and RIM from any suing or other lawyer's stuff.

I am a customer, I want to know the future, e.g. I bought this morning another Playbook for my son’s birthday. He asked me what is coming in the next upgrade. So I thought this is my first ‘insider event’ and I would pass on the question to you but, please, tell me and elaborate a bit more why you have to say: “Unfortunately....

By the way, In the K-W, Guelph area stores there are are no 32GB or 64GB Playbooks available. I had to settle for the 16GB one but the one I bought was still sold with OS 1.8 level. Any plans to have this rectified? Luckily, I know how to upgrade and I saved myself $30 for the 'integration fee' at the store.

I know there are policies in each company but maybe we insiders can petition RIM to have them changed. There would be much more hype and anticipation around your next product release and it would not be as dull as the ’new iPAD’ release yesterday.

RIM should open up. Your website tries hard to entice us but talking about the future openly of any RIM product creates buzz and if it is, what the customer wants, it will reflect in a solid balance sheet for your company. On an event like this you could ask us also questions, like do we want such a high resolution but power hungry display like the new iPAD or a better car integration (see next).

I could imagine you guys work hard on a great car integration with the Playbook OS 2.car. How about telling us a bit more, e.g. we are beta testing a car charger for the Playbook and it should reach our store by June. We are also having a Playbook holder you can mount on the dashboard by mid October and keep it charged via our new charger.

We also plan to be able to log your trip mileage and gas efficiency, your car temperature and your driving habits all via NFC. We will have BB Maps on the PB so you can better see where you are driving and let BB traffic direct you. We plan to sync your smartphone and PB apps once they are both on the BB10 OS, say by February next year. Music download is already available to your Bluetooth enabled speakers in the car or at home with OS2.0.

I know, "unfortunately you can’t comment."  on a blip like this. But we customers would like to hear a short story of what your dreams are, what is possible this year, and what is possible for next year. Don't tell me the shareholders would object. If I would know some good feature being added to the PB, say the car stuff or some game stuff or some Adobe stuff and what other apps stuff and fixes coming down the pipe today, I would buy myself some RIM shares.

Ask your board on the next meeting what they think about this thread. They must have PB too, want to see improvements, and want to know what your plans are ( Playbook and car....sounds like a marriage in the works). Imagine you could sell the' Future' today, it would make an interesting board meeting discussion....I mean allowing openness.. what has RIM to loose... BB10 rocks.... let the competition try to catch you...I know you like your job...be  the 'PB's Open Future' leader).

I appreciate very much RIM’s decision to hold these insider forums and give us contributors a more direct line to people like you once in a while. Insider connectivity and openness is the way to go….If you read the forum threads as we contributors do, you know what needs attention on the PB the next time around. When is the 'next time'?

Greetings, matt

Please use plain text.
Product Manager
mclewley
My Device: BlackBerry 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Playbook's Open Future Imagined

Thanks for your comments.  As you know the mobile space if a very fast paced and competitive environment.   Most companies do not discuss their future releases until they are ready to.   Even as a product manager you still want to ensure you package everything with proper support of the whole company instead of bits and pieces of information here and there.

Michael Clewley
Senior Product Manager, BlackBerry Software
Research In Motion
Please use plain text.
Developer
supraking
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

No offense to the original poster, as I also hope for openness from a company that has a lot of work to do to win back their former customers, but in reality, the last time RIM said something was coming soon, it took them a year to get it out the door. So I'd rather they just stay silent and surprise me with updates than to make promises they can't keep.

That having been said, MC, we're not asking you to divulge information that could negatively affect your position in the industry. We're talking about letting us know that you're working on missing features. Things that the competition has been doing for 4 years, that you're still not doing. You cannot afford to act like Apple (who doesn't say what's coming up next), because you're not apple. Embrace an air of openness with your developers and your customers and you will reap the benefits and increase brand loyalty. Be selective about what you divulge, but closing the door on us is the wrong way forward.

FYI - as soon as Google or Apple release a device with a great keyboard or form factor similar to a BB, you're going to lose just about every non-business customer you've currently got, if any. You'd better have something big coming soon, or be sure to let your customers know about it before the competition gets the jump on you.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
BB4matt
My Device: Z30, Torch 9800, Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

Thanks for your quick answer. Maybe it is time to review the policy. Discuss it with Thorsten. I think RIM would be a better place and the market place would buzz about all the neat things you are working on, even bits and pieces could make in impact. matt
Please use plain text.
Developer
supraking
My Device: Not Specified

Yep, look at Google Labs as a model!
Please use plain text.