Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
My Device: Bold 9930/Playbook

3rd Party Applications approval process

I am not sure what the true approval process is.  I don't know that there's many out there that care what the actual steps are.  What I believe myself, and many others are wondering is; why there are so many awaiting approval??  This is what is burning me on this product.  I believe this is what will burn many developers on this product.  Sure there are some die hards that will stick with it.  Sure there are Corporations that will stick with it because someone in their IT department (much like I have done) said that RIM's products are the only approved devices at this time. 

As one example that is just shocking to me and making me rethink developing any applications for any of RIMs products and even continuing to use RIM's products in my business, I will point to AiFlex (developers of aVNC and aMail).  Their aMail application has been waiting for over a month to be approved.  This is just flat unacceptable to me as someone that views the IT department as a group of people that makes the business as a whole more reliable and nimble.  I can't continue to remain nimble when I have a primary hardware product that is slowing me down. 

I have executives that want this type of device.  I won't approve it for them because I can't use RDP to connect to my servers and published applications.  I don't expect these types of devices to be laptops.  For tasks that require additional computing power or more open OS platforms I expect to be able to connect to a server to complete that task.  To my knowledge none of the tablet manufacturers have RDP as a native application.  I don't expect it to be.  However, I expect a developer to have the ability to make an app and have it available to the general public.  This is the point of failure.

I understand that native email is coming, but for those companies that would like something now, why have email applications been held back? 

Finally I leave this post with this one question, What other apps are there out there that we don't know about that are waiting in the dungeons of RIM's approval process?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: 3rd Party Applications approval process

Wish there was a simple answer for you. Maybe some of the develpoers can tell you their story.

There is a lot coming, enjoy what it has for now and be ready for new stuff coming.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Developer
My Device: Bold 9930/Playbook

I wish there was a simple answer as well.  That is just part of the point.  I have heard from some developers that some of their apps are approved within days and others take well over a month.  One of my reasons for bringing this up is to ultimately get someone within RIM to open their eyes/ears to this issue and fix it.  I love RIMs products, and for that I'd like to see the company continue.  If they can't innovate internally and fix some of these horrid issues then I believe they will continue to lose market share.

Developer
My Device: Playbook

The real problem is that the PB is locked down. Development needs to be fully open as it is on most Android devices. There's no reason that applications need to be "approved" by someone at RIM before they can be installed on the device. Sure, keep the store a walled garden if that's what RIM wants, but open the device. 

Wonderful hardware. Sucky development model.