Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
narci
My Device: Bold 9000, Playbook 64GB
My Carrier: Fido

64GB Playbook died, just out of warranty period :(

Hi,

I have a 64GB playbook that seems to have software issues. The Playbook is out of warranty as it was purchased on May 15th of 2011.

The problem I have having is this...

It won't turn on if I press power.

If I attached the supplied charger or rapid charger, the red led comes on and then it shows a battery with a lightning bolt dimly. Then it brightened. The battery with the lightning bolt disappears and the LED becomes a solid green. After a little while the green LED disappears and the Playbook Logo appears (with a very dimly lit green LED). It stays like this for hours and hours. I left it for 8+ hours and it's still stuck on the Playbook Logo.

If I attach it to the computer via USB, the Playbook turns on with a red led followed by 5 Green/yellow LED blinks and turns off.

Desktop manager will recognize the Playbook as 'Playbook(0)'. I cannot update the Playbook because Desktop manager will not recognize it. I tried DM version 6 and the newest 7.

I have tried stack charging of 2 min. plugged in and 2 min. off plug for about 50 cycles with no result.

I have also tried the reset of Power+Up Vol+Down Vol at various points with no success.

I believe it could be a software issue that the Playbook will not boot up since it gets stuck on the Playbook Logo screen.

Is there anything you could do for me?

I tried emailing playbooksupport@blackberry.com but I got an automated response back saying they are unable to process my request.

I really appreciate the help.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
narci

Re: 64GB Playbook died, just out of warranty period :(

BTW, This happened on a freash install of 2.0.1.358.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I think your severely depleted your battery

If the battery level is critically low, the BlackBerry PlayBook may remain on the boot screen until sufficient charge has been reached to fully boot the BlackBerry PlayBook

I would connect the charger and get to above point again to charge it for a few hours and then do the 3 button reset after

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
narci

Thanks knottyrope.

I have tried leaving it plugged in the wall charger and rapid charger for 8+ hours with the Playbook Logo on.

Also tried plugging it in, red led and held the power+vol buttons down and then charging it with the wall charger and rapid charger for 8+ hours.

Still didn't work.

I still think the boot software is corrupted.

Solid green means PB is fully charged while glowing on and off means charging.

My PB shows a solid green, which means it's charged but the software thinks the batteries are dead. Stack charging won't work because the physical batteries are full and can't be charged anymore so the software thinks it's charging but it's actually not because you can't charge anymore cause it's full.
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I dont think you will be able to do a backup but maybe able to reload the OS with these instructions.

First I would like you to do a Back Up of your PlayBook using your computer and BlackBerry Desktop Software.

This can be downloaded for free from http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

After the Back Up is complete I need you to unplug your PlayBook and then push and hold down the Power Button until the unit Force Powers Off.

Now, while Desktop Software is still open on your computer and the PlayBook Powered Off, Connect the PlayBook to your computer.

You should see and error screen from Desktop Software pop up that has the options to Retry, Update, or Cancel.

QUICKLY choose the Update option.

This will erase all the information off of your PlayBook and Re-Write the Software back onto it. Once it's complete your PlayBook will need to go back through the setup wizard, and you can then perform a restore using Desktop Software to return your information. The only thing that won't come back after the restore are the apps that you downloaded from App World but they can be easily Re-Installed using the My World feature in App World.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
Contributor
narci

Thanks again knotty.

DM won't recognize my PB. It recognizes it for a split second as Playbook(0) and then the update prompt comes up. If I press update...it just errors saying there no PB connected.

The reason why it won't recognize the PB because the software thinks it has 0 battery and the USB isn't powerful enough to keep the PB charged. I get 1 red led follwed by 5 blinks of green/yellow and then it shuts off. I have also tried keeping the PB plugged into the PC overnight thinking it might charge but it still doesn't work.

I even tried plugging the usb and the rapid charger at the same time to try to update but still no go.

It's pretty disappointing that I paid full price for a 64GB and have it stopped working after a year.

I also have a 32GB and another 64GB for the family as well as a couple Blackberry phones.

Since I am out of warranty, do I have to pay $50 to speak to tech support and then more money on top to have it fixed?

I don't mind paying to have it fixed but I don't wish to pay the $50 just to get to speak to someone.
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

here is a list of support by country

http://us.blackberry.com/legal/playbook/repair-services.jsp

I dont know if there is a 50 dollar charge to call it in or not

there are some shops that do repairs too

Please use plain text.
Contributor
narci

Thanks yet again knotty...

I click on get support for Canada and I get a 404 error.

The selected page "/cps/rde/xchg/SID-2EE35F81-E624D7A6/blackberrymobile/hs.xsl/-/ca/contact-support/index.html" is not available on this server (404)
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

Call this number and choose option 4 for other service (if I remembercorrectly)

1-877-644-8405

Please use plain text.
Contributor
narci

[ Edited ]

Looks like it's pay first before any support :smileysad:

Overview

With BlackBerry® Incident Based Support, you can receive support from the BlackBerry Technical Support team by providing your credit card information (American Express, MasterCard, Visa) before your support issue is addressed.

A technical support incident is one technical question, problem or issue that will be managed until resolution, regardless of the number of contacts (email or telephone) required to resolve it. If a particular technical issue requires multiple interactions with BlackBerry Technical Support to reach a suitable resolution, you’ll only be billed once.

Purchase a support incident by calling (877) 255-2377 (toll free) or 1-647-426-1108. Upon entering the telephone menu, select option 2 for technical support, then wait on the line until you hear the Incident Based Support

Is there no way to send the PB in to get it repaired without paying an upfront technical support fee?

Please use plain text.