Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

Re: 64gb Playbook charged by 12v usb?

By the way, I don't always get a green lightning bolt icon but rather I usually get a green plug icon. It still charges the PlayBook rapidly. I don't know why exactly there is an icon disparity however.

Here is some very useful information on troubleshooting charging and I would suggest people read it: http://www.troubleshootingtoolkit.com/Article.aspx?lang=1&id=223

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

0.5Amp from a Macbook laptop with standard cable gives me a plug icon and a warning message.

1(ish) Amp from the car adapter and modified cable gives me lightening bolt. I dare not yet try the modified cable in my precious Macbook socket!

I guess the icon changeover is somewhere in that range.  

________
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

TroyTempest wrote:

0.5Amp from a Macbook laptop with standard cable gives me a plug icon and a warning message.

1(ish) Amp from the car adapter and modified cable gives me lightening bolt. I dare not yet try the modified cable in my precious Macbook socket!

I guess the icon changeover is somewhere in that range.  

That is interesting. See, for me, I am currently using my 2.1A HP TouchPad charger and I get no warnings but my icon is a plug icon instead. It charges noticeably faster than the 1.8A PlayBook rapid charger and since I have a few of them, I disperse them at various locations I frequent so I always have a charger handy. The 1.8A rapid charger does give me a green lightning bolt icon though. So I think it definitely does have something to do with the right amperage being applied.

I also have a single microUSB hard wired (coiled) BlackBerry OEM car charger (this one is not like the dual port OEM one I discussed earlier) and it too gives me fast charging on the PlayBook but I also get a plug icon instead of a lightning bolt. I get no warnings with that device either and it charges my BB cellphone quickly as well as the PlayBook.

I haven't had to modify my cables luckily.

Please use plain text.