If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01
My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)
My Carrier: orange UK
Accepted Solution

64gb Playbook charged by 12v usb?

Hello again

Please answer only if you have achieved to get a 64gb Playbook charged by 12v usb?

I have a 64gb Playbook running 2.1.0.1088. I am trying to use navigation programmes on the move but the playbook discharges in use and cannot accept any input from 12v via usb.

I have tried

Direct connection from 12v with usb. The unit was fro 9600 and playbook. Did not charge or read.

12v connectors with usb slots 1.8a and 2.1a and even 3.1a. All use a usb cable. No charge or read.

12v 3.1 connection, charge only usb adaptor and usb to playbook. No charge or read

The usb cables read when connected to the laptop, but there is no charge.

I have had a number of answers to my other thread, but all are for none 64g playbooks.

If you have succeeded in using a 64gb playbook to a 12v in-car socket. Please let me know which unit you have used and where I may purchase. I am in the UK, so please do not be offended my fellow users around the world if I ask for only UK answers.

Regards

Ross

Regards to all (except BB)
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,874
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: 64gb Playbook charged by 12v usb?

It doesn't vary regardless whether a 64, 32, or 16 GB model. I am not in the UK, but that answer applies and is correct regardless of the geographic location of one's Playbook.

Someone who meets your limited response requirements will need to answer your other question.

And this really should not require a new thread.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kwmcs
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Not applicable

Hi! Ross

I thought I had answered this query a few days ago? I also said that I have a 64GB Playbook and it has got version ...1088 and still ,works in the car with this latest version!

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

I answered this too and spent way too much time trying to get you to do as suggested. You chose to not follow instructions. Others succeeded, why can't you?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01

Thank you for your replies Chaosdivine and Kwmcs. I have tried everything you said, even the splicing, and purchase of the blackberry unit from RIM. Nothing has been successful.

Thank you for your perseverance, I appreciate it.

Regards

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

[ Edited ]

OK I am in UK with 32GB playbook. Hope I qualify. Following advice posted by chaosdivine and tweaking, I took a short USB extension (the sort provided with 3G dongles). Cut the sheath, cut green and white, joined at the female end. This saves mucking up an expensive BB cable. 

Connected this to a cig socket usb charger by Ring Automotive from Wilkos, 5V 1amp, then plugged in playbook USB PC cable. 

Lightening bolt!  Yesssss.

Connected without the modded extension, nothing. No charge.

Repeated twice to make sure it was not a fluke.

For good measure, tried with ipod charger, same result. It only charges when using the extension with data wires shorted at the device end.

Hope this helps.

(Sorry I ever doubted it Chaos! Good one.)

extension.jpg

IMG_00000056.jpg

And if anyone can only see two triangles, the images were there, and I can see them on my playbook, so if you know what I did wrong please let me know!!

________
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

TroyTempest wrote:

OK I am in UK with 32GB playbook. Hope I qualify. Following advice posted by chaosdivine and tweaking, I took a short USB extension (the sort provided with 3G dongles). Cut the sheath, cut green and white, joined at the female end. This saves mucking up an expensive BB cable. 

Connected this to a cig socket usb charger by Ring Automotive from Wilkos, 5V 1amp, then plugged in playbook USB PC cable. 

Lightening bolt!  Yesssss.

Connected without the modded extension, nothing. No charge.

Repeated twice to make sure it was not a fluke.

For good measure, tried with ipod charger, same result. It only charges when using the extension with data wires shorted at the device end.

Hope this helps.

(Sorry I ever doubted it Chaos! Good one.)

extension.jpg

IMG_00000056.jpg

And if anyone can only see two triangles, the images were there, and I can see them on my playbook, so if you know what I did wrong please let me know!!

The triangles will disappear when the mods approve the images and they become part of the post. I am glad you posted screenshots as that will be helpful. I am glad you had success. Thanks for posting.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

[ Edited ]

OK so images seem to be approved.

Now the only concern I have is the idea of having a playbook loose in a car with the USB cable attached is in my opinion sking for the socket to get damaged in use. It's not the world's most robust design. 

When I use Playbook for chat to the family I have it either on the charging dock, on in a wooden frame I made with the cable anchored to the frams so it cant get snagged.

There is still the possibility that it's too late for Ross's Playbook and the socket may be damaged already. 

________
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine

[ Edited ]

TroyTempest wrote:

OK so images seem to be approved.

Now the only concern I have is the idea of having a playbook loose in a car with the USB cable attached is in my opinion sking for the socket to get damaged in use. It's not the world's most robust design. 

When I use Playbook for chat to the family I have it either on the charging dock, on in a wooden frame I made with the cable anchored to the frams so it cant get snagged.

There is still the possibility that it's too late for Ross's Playbook and the socket may be damaged already. 

Well it sounds like you're now looking for a car mount holder. Checking out eBay (North America) there are lots which vary by price and most likely quality: http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=playbook+car+holder

For something like a car holder, I would go to a store and try them in person if possible and then see if you can find that same version cheaper online. I have bought cheap plastic holders before and they are junk and break easily. Personally, I'm trying to hunt down a metal one. I might just end up making one to be honest and that way you can control quality. Since we get some really cold temperatures here in Canada come wintertime, I've been looking to mate various pieces together to create a robust design. Here is a 7" metal stand that can come apart and serve as the backing of the mount. http://www.iphonexcases.com/hot-portable-ultra-tablet-stand-for-7-inch-e-reader-tablet-pcs-galaxy-ta... That stand is $13.70 and if you marry it to mounts like this:

http://www.universalcarmountholder.com/photo/pl401630-flexible_adjusted_apple_ipad_2_tablet_pc_mount... or a gooseneck one like this: http://upload.ecvv.com/upload/Product/20124/China_55_5cm_gooseneck_Flexible_Steel_Seat_Bolt_Mount_Fl...

This looks promising too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/EASY-TO-INSTALL-Asus-eee-pad-Transformer-Slate-Tablet-Car-Floor-Seat-Bolt-Mo...

Then you're getting something robust that will last and can be used elsewhere.

Remember,  with a decent car mount, the microUSB cable should be able to connect and not affect mount points...that's why I suggest trying them in person before buying or else you run the risk of the mounts covering the ports.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01

[ Edited ]

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. It's working!!!!!!!

I did as all members told me. I kept trying and nothing worked. However, this morning I gave it one more go. The 12v socket in my car did not work. There is another socket at the rear so just for devilment I installed the socket. No luck. BUT!!!!!!!! As I was taking the socket out, it was very tight, I began to remove the usb from the socket. The flash charge symbol came on??? The player was charging. Wow!  I tried this a few times and it has worked every time. I have tried it in the Motorhome and it also works. The usb insert is pulled out a fraction and the flash charge symbol displays. Joy.

With regard to Chaosdivine's comment about a holder. I will probably get one in the future. For the present I have a protective case that converts to a holder. I invert the playbook and put the charger at the top.

Thanks folks. VERY happy bunny.

Please use plain text.