Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: tracfone

A Solution to no battery charging problem, really - battery won't charge, yes it will

2 weeks after the warranty ran out the charging quit. Checked all the usual stuff, but slowly it ran out of battery. I ventured to take apart the PlayBook to get ahold of batteries so I could directly give it a hard charge (if not anything else I had to do a backup). I got it charged using an universal li ion charger I had, and I attached an external connect to the battery, and put unit back together. At first it would not turn on and I was about to give up, but then plugged my mobile phone charger into it by mistake and it started up. Okay, now here is the weird thing, even though it was showing the plug symbol it was charging the PlayBook. I had seen this kind of Thing before but did not take much notice. The bottom line is the PlayBook will NOT charge with a high amperage charger (I have several)(ie, the one that comes with the PlayBook , but it will charge with a low amperage charger (like a cell phone charger). Things are back to normal, except I can't use the PlayBook charger (or any other high amp charger).(and I have a dongle sticking out the side the PlayBook just incase.) Again, put a low amp usb type charger (300-400ma), it does not take long to charge PlayBook - which makes me wonder why the 1.8amp one. (BTW, plugging into a PC is the same as low amp charger, but may still be too much - if battery symbol shows the plug symbol in it is a low amperage). Ok the only catch is you have get an initial charge up on the PlayBook, which probably means taking it apart.

Solutions: 6,135
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: A Solution to no battery charging problem, really - battery won't charge, yes it will

Odd, that goes against everything you'll read here from other users in other threads on this same issue.

But what works for you, works for you.

Good luck!

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: tracfone

Re: A Solution to no battery charging problem, really - battery won't charge, yes it will

I have heard of others getting a charge from being plugged into their computer, but it never meant much when you could plug in your PlayBook charger for a nice quick charge. I am wondering if that is the problem with the 10s of thousands of PlayBooks getting recycled. Don't mistake me about the charging, if you have the pb having the low amp charger plugged in doe not charge it, but as soon as it goes into standby the pb does charge. (leave it long enough and it is back to 100% - from 60% to 100% is about an hour)