Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
Jneumann
My Device: BB Bold 9700

Adobe Reader 10.2 very slow

[ Edited ]

Hi Everybody,

I just bought my Blackberry Playbook last weekend. I want to use it principally for my work. I have download the last version  OS and I get adobe reader 10.2 with it.

I transfer some "PDF" files from my computer to the Playbook to make some presentation to my customers. My problem is that is running very slow.... A soon I turn a page it froze for few seconds...

Is this normal? Or the version is bad... I really don't know what to think...

I did get this tablet because of the good price and because I have a BB Bold... But I can't present PDF file to customers if it froze every 2 seconds...

Please help!!!

Thank you

Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook

Re: Adobe Reader 10.2 very slow

I have no freezing whilst opening a 200 page pdf.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Regular Contributor
MHodge
My Device: PlayBook

1. Do you have the latest version of Adobe? Maybe that is why it is slow.
  2. Do you have a lot of Applications installed on your PlayBook? This may also be slowing you down.
  3. How much memory do you have left on your PlayBook? I imagine that Adobe may use a lot of memory and you may not have enough memory to support everything.
If I solved your problem, click the 'Like' button below to give thanks.
Look for my Tutorials if you need any 'Visual' Help.
Don't see a Tutorial you need, request one under the '(New) Forum Tutorials' Topic.

Regular Contributor
MHodge
My Device: PlayBook

If you have a lot of Applications, take the ones that you don't use often. To get a new update for Adobe PDF, go to www.adobe.com
If I solved your problem, click the 'Like' button below to give thanks.
Look for my Tutorials if you need any 'Visual' Help.
Don't see a Tutorial you need, request one under the '(New) Forum Tutorials' Topic.

New Contributor
Jneumann
My Device: BB Bold 9700

Hi,

I just bought it. I have 5 applications only. 25 GB free from 32 GB.

thank you

JSanders
Solutions: 5,978
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

BB-Forum-Support wrote:
  1. Do you have the latest version of Adobe? Maybe that is why it is slow.

Please explain to me how you're proposing one updates their "Adobe" on the PlayBook?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
CCpotter
My Device: 8900/playbook

This usually happens when you PDF file is too huge, just like when you are trying to open a big txt document on your computer, it takes a while to show up.
Contributor
davidbaldwin
My Device: curve + playbook

[ Edited ]
I have the same problem.  BlackBerry and Adobe listen up.

1.  Do you have the latest version of Adobe?  GOOD QUESTION.  I HAVE THE LATEST ADOBE READER UPDATE WHICH SEEMS TO HAVE COME WITH THE LATEST PLAYBOOK SOFTWARE. DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU GUYS ARE GETTING VER 10.2 BECAUSE THE VERSION LOADED WITH NO UPDATES AVAILABLE, IS 10.0.3.325

2.  Do you have a lot of Applications installed on your PlayBook?  NO.  IT'S RELATIVELY NEW.  IT'S ONLY THE ADOBE TRYING TO READ A 2.2MB 9-PAGE HI-RES FILE.

3.  How much memory do you have left on your PlayBook? I imagine that Adobe may use a lot of memory and you may not have enough memory to support everything.  WITH NO APPS OPEN, IT SAYS 541MB OF 1GB FREE MEMORY.  WITH ADOBE OPEN, 518MB FREE.  WITH ADOBE AND 2.2MB DOC OPEN, IT SAYS 481MB FREE.  CRAZY THAT OPENING A 2.2MB PDF TAKES 37MB OF RAM OVER AND ABOVE THE BASIC PROGRAM!

4.  IT LOADS FINE.  BUT SWIPING FROM PAGE TO PAGE I GET EXACTLY WHAT  THE ORIGINAL POSTER IS EXPLAINING.  IF A WAIT 10 SECONDS BETWEEN EACH PAGE TURN, IT'S BETTER BUT NOT PERFECT.  WORST CASE, I SWIPE TO TURN THE PAGE, SOME PAGES WILL RESPOND, OTHERS WILL WAIT 5-10 SECONDS, THEN CHANGE THE PAGE NUMBER THEN ACTUALLY BRING UP THE NEW PAGE.  IF I SWIPE TWICE THINKING I DIDN'T SWIPE "WELL ENOUGH" ON THE FIRST TRY, I CAN WAIT 10-15 SECONDS FOR IT TO SKIP THE NEXT PAGE AND BRING ME TO THE ONE AFTER THAT.  SOMETIMES, I SWIPE AND NOTHING HAPPENS SO I WAIT FOR THE TYPICAL 10-SEC RESPONSE - BUT NOTHING HAPPENS.  THE SWIPE GOT LOST ENTIRELY. 

5.  I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS ADOBE PERFORMANCE ON THE PLAYBOOK.  PITIFUL.  NOT SMOOTH.  NOT SLEEK.  LESS THAN FUNCTIONAL.  IF ANY OF YOU HAVE TIES TO THE PLAYBOOK ENGINEERS, TALK TO THEM ABOUT THIS ONE.  I'M SURE ANY HIGH RES PDF WILL DO FOR A TEST COMPARISON.  MINE IS 2.2 MB AND 9 PAGES.  ALL PAGES HAVE GRAPHICS AND TEXT.  SOME PHOTOS, GRAPHICS AND TEXT.  IF NECESSARY, I WILL EMAIL THE FILE TO A BLACKBERRY OR ADOBE STAFF MEMBER.

6.  THIS BEHAVIOUR IS NOT OCCURRING WITH PHOTOS OR VIDEOS OR ANYTHING ELSE.  IT'S DEFINITELY SUB-STANDARD PERFORMANCE FROM THE ADOBE READER INSTALLED ON PLAYBOOK 2.0.1.358.

7.  !@#$  Even worse, I try to email this to the "support" address given on the Adobe Reader app's page, and it bounces - "no such user".  Seriously, if anyone here knows anyone there, give them **bleep**.  In a nice way of course.

David

New Contributor
tgammel
My Device: Playbook 64gb

I read the local newspaper daily in pdf. Many days it is so slow that I just quit reading. I do have the latest Adobe Reader version and do very little on my 64bm playbook, so it is not overloaded. What really bugs me is that I can download the same pdf files on my wife's iPad and it never slows down!  Is it me or does my Playbook have a design flaw? Can this issue be conveyed to the design team? I really want my Playbook to blow the iPad away!!

JSanders
Solutions: 5,978
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

what version is your PlayBook software... options > About

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code