Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
My Device: 1. Playbook 32G OS 2.1.0.1314 clean load for work 2. Playbook 32G OS 2.1.0.1314 with sideloaded apps and games 3. Z10

Re: Adobe Reader 10.2 very slow

I had a similar problem with certain pdf documents not flowing smoothly on PB adobe, and certain pages within the document not displaying. My solution was to open the original pdf using Adobe Pro on my pc, and using the built in tools, remove hidden info and sanitize. Once resaved and downloaded again to the pb, it worked perfectly.

Just a suggestion.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, Z10
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

I have downloaded some grocery flyer in pdf. The Adobe Reader is quite slow reading it.

So I use another reader instead called qPDF viewer. qPDF Note Demo is another one. They are faster than the Adobe Reader.

Hope this help.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64gb
My Carrier: Verizon

My os is 2.0.1.668 on Verizon. I am running Adobe Reader 10.0.3.325. 

Solutions: 6,138
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

tgammel wrote:

My os is 2.0.1.668 on Verizon. I am running Adobe Reader 10.0.3.325. 

Did this work any better for you on OS 2.0.1.358?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

No. I have been reading the paper daily on Pb for about a year, with the various os upgrades and the problem has been the same all the time. Some days the response is good but some days it is unacceptable. I wonder if it has something to do with the content of the newspaper Page?  There are from 4 to 14 pages in each section and some pages come up quickly and others don't. But as I said before...the iPad has no problem.??? 

New Contributor

Beavertail, thank you, thank you!  I downloaded qPDF and seems to work great. Now if the Pb would let me delete Adobe Reader maybe the pdf's would open in qPDF. My Pb will not show the trash can for Adobe. Any ideas from anyone how Adobe Reader can be deleted or even if deleting it would make qPDF the default pdf reader? 

Regular Contributor
My Device: 1. Playbook 32G OS 2.1.0.1314 clean load for work 2. Playbook 32G OS 2.1.0.1314 with sideloaded apps and games 3. Z10

Yes qPDF seems to be a worthwhile download. Document flow is better when reading ---one direction only as you scroll through pages. Adobe is a combination down to read entire page, then side swipe to change pages. Great added features are bookmarks, contents, annotations and search.

Maybe it is just my old eye(s) but the resolution seems better in Adobe.

I don't see anyway to delete Adobe or to change the default for pdf mail attachments.
New Contributor

I used qPDF to read the paper this morning. The resolution is definitely worse than Adobe but readable. Also, a lot of the pictures showed up as negative images??  On the good side, it did not hang up for minutes like Adobe does at times. Maybe Adobe will be able to deal with this on future updates. 

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

[ Edited ]

I would suggest Picsel Smart Office 2 as it is the best office app on the Playbook. My experience with it stems from my using it with my HP Touchpad and if you think PDF rendering is bad on the PlayBook then you should experience the agony of the Touchpad. I have it installed on the PlayBook and opened up the same high resolution PDF in Adobe Reader, qPDF and Picsel Smart Office 2 and the comparison is a laughable joke. Picsel destroys the others. The navigation of it is very intuitive and you can have multipage thumbnail views open as a spread.

Check out some reviews and videos from around the Web and see for yourself.  It does cost $9.99 though so it's a bit more pricey than some other solutions but in my opinion it's worth every cent.

New Contributor

Okay. I spent the $10 and tried reading the paper on Picsel Smart Office 2. It is faster than Adobe Reader, but it is less user friendly (harder to move around and the only way I could get to the next section of the paper was to restart it!).  Also, there were some pictures that it would not display (I have never seen a bad picture in Adobe).  Finally, the resolution was a lot worse than Adobe. I could hardly read the comics!!  Guess I am still hoping that RIM or Adobe will resolve the loading issue, that doesn't seem to be a problem with Apple??

There must be millions who read the newspaper on their Playbooks every day.  Is it a lot to ask for a good reading app?