Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

Re: Adobe Reader 10.2 very slow

[ Edited ]

That's unfortunate. Picsel works great for me on much larger and more complex PDF's than a newspaper but I have seen other PDFs that don't work in one program or another. See if you can get a refund since it's only been a few hours since you bought it.

The only other one out there is PDF Reader and it's $0.99 https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/108930/?lang=en

PDF Reader has 4/5 stars out of 105 users.

Check out reviews first and make your decision. Other than the ones mentioned, there isn't one worth getting in my opinion. qPDF is very laggy.

Update: OK, so I just bought and tried PDF Reader version 2.2.1 on a 37 MB 937 page ebook I bought previously on CorelDRAW and it's FAST, stable and renders perfectly (just like the computer reader edition). I also tried it on my portfolio (PDF edition) and it renders things very well but not 100%. I mean there are some font issues, meaning the fonts I have used in my PDF do not render perfectly (they are substituted out to a default font). But images render very well. 

If I flattened my PDF in the creation process, to turn my fonts into "objects/curves" (meaning that the fonts are not encapsulated inside the PDF)  then I would have zero issues. This means that it depends on the PDF creator and publisher/author to create them properly in the first place. 

Anyhow, if you can get your refund, try PDF Reader 2.2.1. I think you will like it.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64gb
My Carrier: Verizon

I agree. I have read the newspaper using pdf Reader for a week and it has not "locked up" once. It is jerky at times and may lag a few seconds, but not minutes like Adobe. The "page" feature is great for reading the newspaper.  The pinch zoom doesn't seem to work and I wish it would open in "Page width" size. If it could be the default pdf reader and Adobe could be removed from myPlaybook, that would work for me. 

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

[ Edited ]

Are you running version 2.2.1? Pinch to zoom works just fine for me (it is a little jumpy, but it works fine). I think what you're experiencing is that pinch to zoom will not work when the menu bar is visible on screen. Swipe a finger down to both bring up and remove the menu bar and then try pinch to zoom. It will work.

It doesn't open pages by default at "page width" though but at a smaller resolution. You can set custom zoom levels in what they term preset scales. Click on the wrench and screwdriver icon to do this once you swipe down from the top bezel to get the menu bar. It would be nice to set this particular zoom setting in the settings. What it does seem to do is save the last used zoom settings once set though. So if you zoom into page width and then exit the app, the next time you run it and open that PDF file, it will be set to page width zoom levels.

However, the developer is really responsive and listens to feedback from the community. There is a good chance if we both seperately (and anyone else interested) contacted him that he'd reply with feedback and perhaps take our suggestion to heart. Their email is sporadicsoftware at gmail.com.

As for setting PDF Reader as the default reader on the PB, I am not sure that's possible without RIM opening up the PB code base somehow. Might be a question for Crackberry Forums...

Forums Advisor I

[ Edited ]

Got some feedback from the PDF Reader author, who is very nice by the way: "I will make Page Width the default zoom in the next update." So that's something to look forward to. Also, the author said there is currently no way to assign a different viewer application by default on OS 2.0. It is unknown until a future OS release if this will change in OS 2.x or BB10.  

New Contributor

Just sent this to sporadicsoftware@gmail.com.  Hope for the best. 

I have used pdf Reader to read the local newspaper for the last couple of weeks after getting frustrated with Adobe. I have some ideas that might improve newspaper reading. 1. I understand from chaosdivine on the BlackBerry PlayBook forum "Adobe Reader 10.2 very slow" that you will make "page width" the default size. Great!!

2. The "highlighter" pops up too easy. Always having to close it.

3. Need user friendly way (one step) to enlarge (200% or adjustable zoom) and return to "page width" - for those of us with vision issues....

4. The "page" feature is great for reading the newspaper. However the first time used the numerical key pad automatically appears but after that the alpha keyboard comes up and you must change to numeric or use the very small up/down keys. 5. At times "fast schroll" goes crazy. A not needed feature?

6. Jumpy and drags (but not as bad as Adobe). Some way to show that page is not active (unclear print like Adobe?) To avoid trying to move the screen until it is ready. 7. Fewer steps to access downloaded files on the PlayBook. Does OS 2.1 allow making pdf Reader primary or an easier way to provide file access?

New Contributor

Nic has addressed almost all of the issues above. I have used the current version of pdf Reader to read the newspaper on my Playbook for a couple of weeks and I like it!  I tried to go back to Adobe yesterday and the long lags were unacceptable. The "page" feature is wonderful for newspaper reading. 

Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

chaosdivine wrote:

Got some feedback from the PDF Reader author, who is very nice by the way: "I will make Page Width the default zoom in the next update." So that's something to look forward to. Also, the author said there is currently no way to assign a different viewer application by default on OS 2.0. It is unknown until a future OS release if this will change in OS 2.x or BB10.  

No way to change ANY defaults, readers, browser , file manager...

________
Forums Advisor I

We are talking about PDF Reader app here not Asobe Reader and YES you can save the zoom at page width the default with PDF Reader. It is a very capable, fast and inexpensive PDF app. It has recently been updated with even more fixes.

You can not override app associations on an OS level though.