Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
alpha788
My Device: 9360 / Playbook 32
My Carrier: Wind

Adobe Reader Not Working after OS 2 UPGRADE

Hope someone can help with this issue.  Updated to OS 2, but now the Adobe Reader does not work.  Since this was a new device and the upgrade started automatically, I have no idea if Adobe Reader worked in the previous OS version - from the forums, it seem to work.  The shortcut icon is still there but when you click on it,  Adobe Reader opens but is non-functional.  Clicking on a PDF does nothing.  I then tried to uninstall it in My World in Blackberry World Apps.  In the Installed section, it shows Adobe Reader as being installed but I noticed that the Delete button was greyed out so I could not uninstall it for a reinstall.

It was interesting to note that when I tried to find Adobe Reader in BB World Apps, there was no listing for Adobe Reader.

Does anyone else have the same issue?  Hopefully there is a solution for this problem.  Is there another alternative app to Adobe Reader?  Thanks.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rolloft
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Adobe Reader Not Working after OS 2 UPGRADE

I have exactly the same problem and did with the previous version. I get an error 2 notification. I am also at a loss to resolve. 

Please use plain text.
belleamie
My Carrier: Bell mobility

I am having the same problem. It worked before the new operating system. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rsa4213
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None

Mine didn't work until the upgrade and now I go into file manager icon which gives access to my pdf files. Adobe icon also started working as before it said file path not valid.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ChasPH
My Device: Probook
My Carrier: True

[ Edited ]

Likewise. I load pdfs to my Playbook, try to open them with Adobe Reader, but nothing happens. No error message. It just sits there.  And I'm on OS 2, by the way. 

KB26744 says: 

Edit the application permissions file access rights for the Adobe Reader application.

1. On BlackBerry Playbook open Options
  2. Select Security -> Application Permissions
  3. Select Adobe Reader application
  4. Edit file permissions setting to allow the application to access files stored on BlackBerry PlayBook
  5. Save settings by selecting Back button after making changes

BUT...in my case, Adobe Reader doesn't even show up in the list of apps. 

Plus, it isn't possible to delete and reload the apps, so that option is taken away as well. 

I echo all other comments, too, regarding the need for a fully functioning Reader app, including the ability to annotate documents. Without that, Reader is, well, just a reader. And almost anyone can produce an inflexible reader program. If that's all I wanted then I'd have just bought a Kindle. Software on this platform is supposed to do so much more than that. 

So, a solution is needed for, at least as a minimum, getting Adobe Reader working. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rolloft
My Carrier: Vodafone

I have tried "permissions" but all to no avail, this is such an obvious fault that it is hard to believe blackberry has issued a version with a resolution for a widely used program - the FREE text msg reader offered in compensation for the network failure completely knackered my bold / bluetooth and never worked. Seems to me Blackberry are losing the plot , all v disappointing!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pipideluxe231
My Device: BlackBerry playbook
My Carrier: Comcast

I also have the same issue on my device 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
BB4matt
My Device: Z30, Torch 9800, Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

Here is a quick test if to check if your Adobe Reader is currently working properly within its current confinement. Open the app and click on ‘Browse’.

If you can browse around, the app is working properly. If you can’t, close Adobe and then open it once more and try to browse.

If you still can’t browse it is time to ‘Restart’ your PB via the battery icon’s ‘Restart’ option.

Once your PB’s main screen loaded again repeat the test. I am sure you can browse now but don’t open a file yet. We need a ‘known’ conforming PDF file.

Now, this might be a bit of a surprise. Not all PDF files are created equally. Therefore, some PDF files can’t be opened by this Adobe Reader’s version without ‘hanging’ the app as indicated by ’not able to browse anymore’.

Please, download a conforming PDF file like the manual for the Playbook and select ‘Download PDF’ from this BB site:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/27018/index.jsp?name=User+Guide+-+BlackB...

Now open Adobe and select the newly downloaded file: “BlackBerry_Playbook_Tablet_User_Guide—“and it should open all 86 pages. Scroll around. This 2nd test verifies that your Adobe Reader is working because this file was created to follow the Microsoft – Adobe agreed upon standard which the PB is following.

So at this point in time we users have to except that some files are non-conforming and that Adobe Reader version 10.0.3 needs an update.  BTW, I couldn’t find Adobe’s security setting in my PB either (this is not a 'fix' for OS 2 users).

Remember, Adobe cannot open files directly if you browse to your smartphone’s Adobe documents even so they might be ‘conforming’. You have to open these files first via File Manager (found on your main screen) so Adobe gets a trusted link which it stores in its hidden “Recent Document' folder. I guess, this link then allows Adobe to open conforming files which are stored in your smartphone the next time you open this linked  Adobef PDF file without the help of the File Manager.

Your question: Is there another alternative app to Adobe Reader? Contributor sohrabza suggested to use an Android app called ‘Repligo’. I looked a bit into this and it is not yet a downloadable PB app unless you know how to a handle a bar file installation in your Playbook together with their Android version. They also make a Repligo version for the BB smartphone so they know RIM. I can’t believe cerience has not readied the Playbook App store download version to get my $4.99. Many users might want to choose this alternative PDF reader once it is available in the BB AppStore but their website does not give a hint if their app approval is pending with RIM.

Click the ‘+’ sign button in this comment box if you liked the comment so others can see your feedback.  

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pipideluxe231
My Device: BlackBerry playbook
My Carrier: Comcast

Thanks i was able to download and view the pdf file

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
genesis123
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: none

followed all that, but it didn't open the pdf file. I can browse to locate it, but can't open it. Click it, nothing happens.
I'm on OS2, I uninstalled adobe reader while it was OS1, after the update, the icon appears on the desktop, but it doesn't open any file. Can't reinstall.
I'm stuck.
Please use plain text.