Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
BB4matt
My Device: Z30, Torch 9800, Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Adobe Reader Not Working after OS 2 UPGRADE

I suggest to install Jotsy. It is not only a pdf reader but also allows annotation. Search for Jotsy in PB app store. Right now it is free. When you install the PC component make sure you install Java first. This app blows the current Adobe Reader version away. You can browse for page numbers! If you like it too, click the like button in my comment box here to the right. Thx, matt
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
genesis123
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: none

tried that, but it didn't sync for some reason, I'll have to get that figured out.

Thank you very much for your help,BB4matt.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

Security wipe.

Btw permissions are only for apps installed manually. Adobe comes with os2

My Device: Z30, Torch 9800, Playbook

Sorry to hear Adobe Reader still does not work even so you can browse and downloaded the PB OS 2 User Guide but can't open it. I don’t know if this 'Reset' will help the stuck Adobe Reader any better than 'Restart' but it might.

Make sure your battery is fully charged to 100 % and the original wall mounted BB charger is connected to your PB. If the wall charger does not list it is good for 1.8 A, you have the wrong charger. Try to find the one which came with your package.

Remember, the PC USB ports or  laptop USB ports particularly are not designed for this high load current so RIM gave everyone an extra charger, use it or you loose the PB's battery charge over time (It looks like people run down the battery of their PB slowly by only charging it hooked up to their PC or laptop and not using the official charger often enough to bring it up to 100 %.

Now, older PBs need the three finger salute, pushing down simultaneously the + key, the - key and the start/stop button all at the same time by counting slowly to 10. Newer PBs ( my  PB was made in Nov. 2011 need only the start/stop key power button being continuously pushed down  for 10 seconds.  Try both methods once.

If your Adobe Reader still does not want to open, it might be time for a reboot following this link:

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB2...

Something must have gone wrong with the Adobe Reader file when OS 2 was installed.

However, there is an alternative to Adobe Reader. It is called Jotsy and I tried it yesterday and today and I like it a lot because it can open  ‘inline view’ (iOS formatted)  PDF files. See more what I found out about Jotsy in this thread:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/PDF-Reader-and-Editor-for-Playbook/td-p/1...

It would be good idea to have the WiFi transfer option working before installing Jotsy software because it wants to talk to your PC’s Adobe files wirelessly as well. This was the way I approached this new application. Their example shows a 10.10.x.x IP number but you might encounter 192.168.x.x where x means a number between 1 and 256.

I hope this helps a bit. GIve it a try, first a different 'Reset' or 'Reboot' and/or maybe Jotsy. If you liked this comment click the Like button. Thx, matt

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ralphvis76
My Device: Curve

With OS2 no titles on PDFs, or any other document, can have a comma in the title. You should be able to e-mail the file to yourself, re-name it on your desktop - without a comma - and then be able to open it on your PB.
Please use plain text.
likwidxx
My Device: Playbook

This was my problem. I renamed all my books with a "Last Name, First Name" format. So after that nothing would open anymore. Even books I had been able to open previously. Drove me crazy until I found this post. I never would've thought of that

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
sohrabza
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

[ Edited ]

I haven't read all the other solutions people provided...but if I were you I wouldn't even bother trying to get the out of the box adobe reader to work....it's a useless piece of bleeep.....what I would do ....is to sideload Repligo reader instead....you can easily find the instructions on crackberry.com.....it's very easy and the instructions are very clear....you get repligo reader and you would want to marry it....YES it's that goood!!!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ChasPH
My Device: Probook
My Carrier: True

Dear sohrabza: 

I was considering that option, but hadn't heard if the sideloaded version would work on a tablet or not, since it was made for phones. Can you confirm you have it working on your PB? Also, did you buy Repligo from the Android Marketplace or find the program file elsewhere? Since I've not purchased something from the Android Marketplace, I'm wondering if what you get is directly installable on the PB via DDPB. Your reply is appreciated. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
genesis123
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: none

There is a free app in the app world called qpdf, it opens pdf files for me. No need to do sideloading. Cheers.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
alpha788
My Device: 9360 / Playbook 32
My Carrier: Wind

Thanks genesis123.  Qpdf was able to open pdf files that Adobe Reader could not even though it took some time opening some files.:Balloon:

Please use plain text.