Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
aircoolednut
My Device: Playbook

AnDrOiD MaRkEt

ok the playbook is a good tablet. but who is the **bleep** who will not let the dam thing access the android market . you talk about stupidity but this has to be a real class one. i am going to have to buy a new tablet as this is a waste of space.

Forums Veteran I
jamead1981
My Device: Z10

Re: AnDrOiD MaRkEt

Not sure why you expect the Playbook would have access to Android Market as it is not an Android Tablet? It has the ability to run android apps that have been converted to run on the playbook - the normal source of these is App World but you can sideload apps that have been manually converted by other users and posted on the Internet. 

However, if you are wanting all the latest Android apps then yes, you are better returning the Playbook and buying a full android tablet. 

Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32

aircoolednut wrote:

ok the playbook is a good tablet. but who is the **bleep** who will not let the dam thing access the android market . you talk about stupidity but this has to be a real class one. i am going to have to buy a new tablet as this is a waste of space.

So if you buy a Mac do you complain that it's not open to the Windows market? 

The Android market is full of crud. Anything worth having in the Android market has been converted and can be found in goodereader.com ands sideloaded to the android player in Playbook.  You can convert others if you can be bothered to learn how.

...except Skype of course which is there but does not work. 

________
Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01
My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)

[ Edited ]

Hello TroyTempest

For 'skype' use www.faceflow.com . It is cross o/s as it uses the bowser. And, it allows conference calls as well.

Regards

Ross

Regards to all (except BB)
New Contributor
aircoolednut

Hey, well if you have the simple instructions, then tell me. I was making a statement which is true, you may think it is full of crud, well it probably is, so what at least I dont have to learn to convert stuff, sideswipe it or good what ever it. I bought it to use it not to spend time figuring out how to make it work. But thanks for your reply and I await the instructions on what you suggested

acn

Super Contributor
TroyTempest

[ Edited ]

aircoolednut wrote:

Hey, well if you have the simple instructions, then tell me. I was making a statement which is true, you may think it is full of crud, well it probably is, so what at least I dont have to learn to convert stuff, sideswipe it or good what ever it. I bought it to use it not to spend time figuring out how to make it work. But thanks for your reply and I await the instructions on what you suggested

acn

Example ebay app.

on your Pc or Mac...

Get google chrome browser from here http://www.google.com/chrome
When installed get chrome Extension called Playbook App Manager and install.

Put PlayBook into development  mode at settings, security.
Connect playbook to pc either by usb or wifi
Run the chrome extension and follow the simple instructions to install (ie sideload) the ebay app

Simple.
________
New Contributor
aircoolednut

well thanks for the info, so if I do that, what do I get? Sorry you talked about google chrome and ebay, I can acces ebay and google on the playbook through the browser. Not knowing what the point of doing all that is and thinking I may have to mess around like that for every app seems like a chore. Is what you said something you have to do on all tablets to make them work correctly, or is it just the playbook that has this problem. Me thinks that ebay may be getting my playbook listed on there with a 99p start price (heres hoping someone will be daft enought to buy it) and I will be putting on my xmas a list a tablet that actually works

thanks

acn

Forums Veteran I
jamead1981
My Device: Z10

It depends entirely what Apps you want to get on your playbook. The above suggestion helps you get Android apps onto the Blackberry playbook. It is not a "problem" with the Playbook - it is just a way of getting apps that the developers have not chosen to convert to run on a Playbook. 

The normal route to install apps on any tablet is to use that tablets app store - so on the iPad use Apples App Store, on a tablet with Android use Google Play and on the Playbook use Blackberrys App Store. 

So for ease, what particular apps do you want on your Playbook? 

Super Contributor
TroyTempest

[ Edited ]

aircoolednut wrote:

well thanks for the info, so if I do that, what do I get? Sorry you talked about google chrome and ebay, I can acces ebay and google on the playbook through the browser. Not knowing what the point of doing all that is and thinking I may have to mess around like that for every app seems like a chore. Is what you said something you have to do on all tablets to make them work correctly, or is it just the playbook that has this problem. Me thinks that ebay may be getting my playbook listed on there with a 99p start price (heres hoping someone will be daft enought to buy it) and I will be putting on my xmas a list a tablet that actually works

thanks

acn

Your gratitude is touching.   I gave you an example of what you wanted. How to sideload an androud app onto Playbook.

You hit the nail on the head, many apps are unnecessary. However if you were trying to sell on ebay.co.uk you would find you cannot do so using Playbook browser because it does not recognise the paypal checkmark.

Are you asking can you sideload playbook apps to android or android apps to ipad? probably not

________