Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
brdmcn
My Device: Bold & Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

Android Apps - Google Play store

[ Edited ]
My wife bought me a BlackBerry Playbook for Christmas and I really like it so far, however I am slightly disappointed in the selection of apps available for the device.  I understand that the previous OS allowed users to access the Google Play store and download Android apps, however the new 2.1.0.1314 OS does not.  Will this be changed in the future to so we can access more Android apps for our Playbooks?  I believe this would really open up a whole new market for Playbooks. 
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Android Apps - Google Play store

google play was never accessable but you can side load android apps if you want to

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
brdmcn

I am not an overly technical person and new to Playbook... is this easy to do?  How do you do it?

Cheers,

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tonyArmitage
My Device: Playbook Tablet (32Gb)
My Carrier: BT infiniti for home use with homehub3

Have a look at the goodEreader site(goodEreader.com).. I run some apps from there.. including the kindle book reader...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Vakil
My Device: Torch 2010
My Carrier: Vodafone

you cannot access Google play in any OS version of blackberry

you cannot access Google play in any OS version of blackberry...

please check BB is different platform and Google play run only android platform.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

Re: you cannot access Google play in any OS version of blackberry

At least two ways to sideload mentioned here.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/kindle-app/td-p/2067027

I recommend the google browser extension as it doesn't need all that java rte stuff.

My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n-a

I recommend the Good EReader site and the method they suggest. It was easy to follow and their apps have been reliable. Be aware that many of the android-converted apps are really just a change in file name extension and weren't optimised for the PB - the Good Earader site says that they test the apps they put on their PB store to make sure they actually work well on the device. Maybe just marketing blah-blah but it works for me.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]

gumnutninja wrote:
I recommend the Good EReader site and the method they suggest. 

Yes IF you have windows Vista or newer.  Others (mac, linux, googlebooks) must use the chrome method, which also works across wifi so people with pcs that refuse to connect by usb, or with busted usb sockets, or folk with xp home or 2000 may prefer the Chrome method.

Thanks everyone!  The eReader works for me, although some apps don't work...I assume it's because they haven't been updated to the ne Playbook OS.  This opens up so many more apps!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n-a

@TexTucker - yes - very good point that solutions depend very much on personal context.

(my context = increasing aversion to google :smileywink:
Please use plain text.