Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

dandydan1
My Carrier: 7156236375

Android Apps for Playbook

I would like to download Android Apps such as Netflix, Google Chrome and Skype on my playbook.  What step by step instructions can I follow to do so?  Is this even possible? 

Thank you,

Dan

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

Re: Android Apps for Playbook

dandydan1 wrote:

I would like to download Android Apps such as Netflix, Google Chrome and Skype on my playbook.  What step by step instructions can I follow to do so?  Is this even possible? 

Thank you,

Dan

Sorry my friend you just picked three apps which will not run on the PlayBook. 

1. Hypothetically Netflix could be converted and side loaded but it will not work. Netflix so far has decided not to support the PlayBook.  I assume the issue may be billing related.

2. Chrome will not run on the QNX operating system of the PlayBook either. 

3. There were attempts made to convert Android  Skype and side load it. but it will not work. It has something to do with the fact that the side loaded Skype does not have Mic. and Camera access. The lack of Skype is a major irritant to PlayBook owners.  But there is hope on be horizon. Skype is running on tbe new Z10 and Q10 BlackBerry phones which use the BB10 operating system, which was derived from QNX. Also, BlackBerry has promised that all PlayBooks will get the BB10 operating system - no time given!. So it is not unreasonable to hope that the PlayBook will also get Skype. Not side loaded but fully supported by BlackBerry. 

In the meanwhile you could try using the Taki SIP phone application. While it has no camera support it functions wery well for me as a SIP phone.  Depending on the VoIP service you get it can be quite amazing how feature reach your phone could be. It also works well with Bluetooth headsets paired with your PlayBook. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hiremobileapp
My Carrier: California

Re: Android Apps for Playbook

I'd like a LoveFilm app. It is UK based services. It is simmilar like as Netflix run by Amazon, essentially our equivalent of Amazon Instant Video, although you can also rent DVDs from it, but obviously the app would be for streaming stuff. Android Apps Development for Playbook

Please use plain text.