Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
GeorgeB
My Device: Playbook 64 GB (used on Wi-Fi); 9900

Android apps (and Skype) will run on Win8

AMD has just announced their AppZone player - will run all the Android apps (and I'd guess that includes the Android app for Skype).

Why is RIM and Playbook behind the times?

See "AMD deal brings Android apps to Windows 8" on BBC news, at:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19756734

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Android apps (and Skype) will run on Win8

GeorgeB wrote:

Why is RIM and Playbook behind the times?

RIM has been using an android player before microsoft and you call RIM behind the times.

i dont understand

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Regular Contributor
GeorgeB

Playbook runs some simple Android apps.

It doesn't run ones that use the camera - a good example is Fidelity Investment's Android app, which enables Android users to deposit checks. Even sideloading doesn't run the app - it loads, but camera doesn't work with it!!

It doesn't run the Android Skype app - forget about video calls, it doesn't run the basic Android Skype app for voice calls. You can only _chat_ on Skype with the Playbook and Skype app.

RIM doesn't have a Skype (voice call) app for the Playbook.

RIM doesn't have a Fidelity app to deposit checks - Android does, but Playbook doesn't connect that app to the camera.

RIM did have a _partial_ and _limited_ android player before Microsoft and AMD...they never went the rest of the way.

I'd be delighted when RIM does -- along with thousands of Playbook users who have asked for a Skype app _beyond_ chat.

Kind regards,

GeorgeB

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Skype refused to make the app

More Camera support is coming in newer OS version

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Regular Contributor
GeorgeB

Knottyrope

Glad to hear that there'll be more on camera support - hopefully ability to run _free_ Android apps that use the camera, such as Fidelity Investments. That would be a welcome improvement.

Now, the Android app for Skype voice is _free_.  How about a software socket that it can operate in -- to make use of the existing app ???

If that won't happen, then those of us that want Skype voice will have to go to an Android cellphone or to an AMD/Win8  notebook or tablet.

Seems within a possibility - and RIM will have thousands of supporters pushing the Playbook if and when it gets Skype voice (and possibly video, which some want) -- or alternately, giving up and going to AMD/Win8 and _full_ Android.

If I've missed something, let me know, Knottyrope. But your comments suggest there's nothing going to happen with Skype voice calls.

Kind regards and thanks for the info,

GeorgeB

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

[ Edited ]

skype voice calls can be done, its the video that cant

https://imo.im/ can do skype and there is another app that can do skype to in app world

also ReelPortal can skype too

Regular Contributor
GeorgeB

Thanks, knottyrope.

It's voice that I'm interested in, not chat or video.

I've used https://imo.im a while back, and it works on Skype voice. The only one out there.

You don't need an app, just use your Playbook browser to connect to imo.im

ReelPortal is simply video but no Skype connection that I can find - looked on their web site. 

Also, a review at:

says
"NOTE: ReelPortal for iOS only works with ReelPortal app on other platforms (Android/Playbook/Windows/Mac/Linux). It does not work with Skype, FaceTime, Qik, Oovoo, Tango, Fring, etc. Do not download it if you are already happy with those other programs."

On the App World, there are apps that come up in regard to a search there for Skype, but the only one that has Skype Voice is IMO  (and haven't used it on the Playbook recently). IMO does allow you to log in with your Skype credentials, and brings up your Skype contact list.

So there's only one that works with the Playbook...and haven't tried to use it with a Bluetooth headset.

Thanks for the try, knottyrope.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

OS 2.1 is now out. Wonder if it brings any more goodies

Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB

I have updated from OS 2.1 beta to OS 2.1.0.1032. The upgrade went well. So far all other apps seem to work OK, but my sideloaded Skype still does not work.