Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
Murdoch64
My Device: Playbook

Android apps for playbook?

[ Edited ]

I bought 3 playbooks for my kids for xmas and have now discovered that they can't get any of the apps they want. i was wrongly told that I could download any andriod apps on 2 the playbooks but seemingly not! 

They only want one game - derby days. Does anybody know how on earth I can get it on their playbooks? If not that'll be 3 playbooks unwanted!

are blackberry ever planning on getting the android apps? 

Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Android apps for playbook?

Hi Murdoch64,

PlayBook supports andriod apps. But BlackBerry Runtime for Android apps allows Android applications that developers have repackaged, signed, and submitted to the BlackBerry App World storefront, to run on the BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0. Therefore, it means you won't be able to run all andriod apps on PlayBook. The driod apps need to be reprogrammed or ported so that they can be run on PlayBook. This is great feature that no other tablet platform allows at the moment. QNX (PlayBook) and Andriod runs on completely different application platform and they need to be repackaged for ensuring compatibility.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

[ Edited ]

Here is a good place to get Android apps. I have quite a few of them installed. It takes a little bit of setup on your computer to install them but once you've done it a time or two it's easy. I don't see Derby Days on their list but let me see what I can find.

http://apps.goodereader.com/playbook/playbook-android-apps/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

I just tried to convert that Android app to Playbook and it errors out on me. Sorry, no Derby Days for Playbook. :-(
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
Murdoch64

Thanx tanzim but how can that help me get the app I need?
Contributor
Murdoch64

Thanks john. I've been on that web site before & downloaded what I needed & thanx for trying 2 convert the file. You'd think blackberry would make it easy just 2 look at the android apps & download them - why make it soooo complicated??????
Guru I
John_Clark

Tanzim explained it. The Playbook doesn't really run Android Apps. It has an app that the ported Android apps run in. An application still must be converted to the proper format. In my experience some Android apps convert with no problem and some won't convert, meaning that the developer must re-code them and repackage them for Playbook.

It does give some extra versatility that most platforms don't have. On a positive note, with the release of BB10 there will be over 70,000 apps in Appworld so it's possible that many of the apps out there will be ported over and found in Appworld soon.
Contributor
Murdoch64

Thanx john any idea when this is likely 2 happen. Really wish I'd just bought an android tablet
Guru I
John_Clark

Release of BB10 is the 30th. I'm not sure what apps will be available for both devices After that date though.
Contributor
Murdoch64

Thanx again. Wots the bet there's no apps that the kids want. What is so special about the playbook that it has 2 make things difficult?