Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
djalex5324
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Answers don't come easy at RIM

All I want is an answer to the following,

I am the administrator of a number of websites and a relatively new owner of a Blackberry Playbook.  Some of the websites that I manage use drop down menus as a way of navigating the websites.  I have noticed recently that when I access these sites using my playbook, the drop down menus do not work correctly.  When I select a link in the drop down menu, the menu shows all of the child links in the drop down, however when I release the parent link to select the child link, the drop down menu collapses, thus not allowing me to select one of the options on the drop down menu.  I have read on some forums that I can click the parent link three times and that will allow one of the drop down links to be selected, however that is not an acceptable fix as most users using a Playbook would not know to do that.

What I would like to know is if RIM is planning on a fix for this situation in upcoming updates.  I had hoped that last weeks update 2.0.1.358 would have addressed this problem, but it did not.

Contributor
peter_betos
My Device: Playbook

Re: Answers don't come easy at RIM

Playbook doesn't work well with menus that are interacted via hover. You can either access their mobile site, or wait for a device that fully supports hover e.g. Xperia Sola

Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

This is not PlayBook specific, but would happen on any touch device including iPads, iPhones, Androids and even Windows 7 laptops with touchscreens. 

Your web designer needs to think about his UI and how it will work on a touchscreen. User interaction that depend on hovers, such as a menu that drops down when the user doesn't click but just hovers, needs special attention. A good web designer knows this. There is no such thing as a hover on a tablet, because a  tablet can't detect a pointer position until the user actually touches the screen, and that represents a click. There are devices on the horizon that may do both, but not today.

RIM can't do anything to "fix" it, because it is all done with generic JavaScript. Blaming RIM for this is like blaming Sony for bad news on TV.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
New Contributor
djalex5324

Unfortunately, this is Playbook specific.  This css drop down menu when clicking, not just hovering has been tested on all major tablet operating systems including, ipad, iphone, android, windows 7,  and all work except for Playbook.  All I am asking is if someone from RIM monitors this forum, are they planning on addressing this issue in upcoming updates. 

What is frustrating is that this forum appears to be the only avenue to connect and contact with RIM.  Hence the subject line. All e-mails to addresses listed on there website were returned unanswered and directing any support inquiries to this forum.

Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

A working URL or sample HTML/CSS/JS code might help...

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
New Contributor
djalex5324

Unfortunately I cannot give the url of the website that i am having difficulty with on a forum.  The menu that I am using comes from cssmunu3.com which they use.  If you would PM me I would be happy to give you my URL

Elev8Renee
My Device: Playbook

I am having a similar issue and was wondering if anyone has the answer to get a pure CSS drop-down style menu to work on the Playbook.