Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
cmiddleton1986
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook
Accepted Solution

Antivirus and security

Does the PlayBook need antivirus and internet  security? I do online banking etc and I am not sure if I can safely do it on this device. If I do need one can anyone suggest which one please? 

Many thanks 

Claire 

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Antivirus and security

No virus has been made for qnx. BlackBerry is known for security. This is one device you can trust.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb

[ Edited ]

There are no viruses that will attack Playbook. There are antivirus products "for playbook", but like Mac OSX and Linux they can only scan for known viruses and they are all currently Windows, viruses so all they can do is see if you have any windows viruses that you may pass onto others (very unlikely anyway). Most are sideloaded Android apps anyway which again are pointless apps.

the oinly place you can get into trouble is either phishing scams which usually require a windows trojan or a blatant request for your PIN, or malwars installed from a dodgy app so always get apps from reliable sources. 

The word virus is assumed in the above to include all hidden malware 

Thank you very much for all your help. 

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Your welcome, enjoy your playbook 

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor
cmiddleton1986

Thank you I will do.

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

I agree with all the replies you have above.

In addition to that, I will add that for browsers today, on any platform, you can delete the cookies and the browser cache whenever you want.

And for modern browsers, including the PlayBook, you now have a "Private browsing mode" that may interest you. Check tip #5 in this article from the BlackBerry Help blog:

http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2011/07/blackberry-playbook-browsing-tips/

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
cmiddleton1986

Thank you very much for your help I really appreciate it.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

nice read on QNX here

http://www.qnx.com/popups/index.html?topic=3545&popupw=1000&popuph=800

Regular Contributor
susgeek
My Device: PlayBook

I am looking forward for the day when an app like Private WiFi is available.

https://www.privatewifi.com/try/

PRIVATE WiFi is software that encrypts all the data going into and out of your computer, making you invisible to hackers on any public network, anywhere in the world.

@}-`-,--
Web Development and Technical Services Librarian