Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: att
Accepted Solution

Any advice will do...

I'd like to list the repetitive issues I have and am experiencing with my PlayBook and ask if anyone has any solutions to any of these issues, PLEASE help where you can.

#1)  App World isn't available in my country (USA) at least 2-4 times a week.

#2)  Applications shut down at random some times.

#3)  Touch is very slow to respond regardless of application/internet browsing/typing.

#4)  Space bar sticks a lot.

#5)  Android apps remain in processing long after shutting them down preventing other apps from opening.

#6)  Back ups fail and the only error message is "Back up encountered error".

#7)  (and this one is odd)  I have my gmail account setup in my PlayBook and all the settings are correct (i.e.. date, time, time zone, etc...) and when I send or receive a message on the PlayBook it's right as well.... BUT these sent and received emails through PlayBook are automatically sent to my laptop in Outlook and when they show up in Outlook, any email sent from the PlayBook shows a time difference of 4 hours. 

Example:  Yesterday afternoon at 4:17pm, I sent an email using my PlayBook while standing in my apartment so within a few seconds I heard my laptop chirp indicating Outlook had just received a copy of the email I just sent.  When I look at that email in Outlook, it says it was sent at 8:18pm while the computer time indicates 4:18pm so I know the system clock is correct.  Why would this be happening?  Outlook's data and time stamp are dependent on my system clock/calendar.  Weird.

Any help you can offer would be most appreciated.

Contributor

Re: Any advice will do...

Great response.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

2) Do you have a lot of applications open when this happens? I find that when I have a lot of apps open, it closes the last app I accessed, to free up memory.

3) Is the touchscreen still slow to respond even after a reboot? I know this sounds stupid, but when the touchscreen is slow to respond, do you perhaps have any fingers on the bezel? (I ask because I remember trying to scroll on a webpage once, and it wouldn't budge. Turns out it was because my thumb was on the bezel close to the screen.)

4) The space bar sticks a lot?

5) I think I've read that sideloaded Android apps don't run perfectly or ideally on the PlayBook. Either way, a reboot should help, I should think.

7) I remember adding an event into the Windows Live calendar, and it would sync with Windows Live on the web but with a 1 hour difference. Turns out the timezone in Windows Live Calendar on the web was set to GMT+1 or something. Setting it to my actual timezone fixed the syncing thing for me. I'm not sure how Outlook works, but are there similar settings?

Contributor

Well here's what I have noticed... Yes the Playbook works much smoother when I initially reboot or certainly after I've wiped it and reinstalled but... The apps closing at random seems to follow no rhyme or reason.  Sometimes I can say, okay... Maybe I'm just trying too much at once but more often than not, there's no logic to it.  Yesterday, for instance, the browser was the only app open and twice it simply went away.  ??? 

The time stamp issue just seemed odd to me but I haven't checked Gmail online yet.  Maybe the origin setup is off so I'll look into that, thanks.

Android problems?  I seem to be reading that everywhere I go.  I do so hope the powers that be at RIM take that under serious advisement before scores of consumers initiate exodus number two.  The least I'd like to see happen is some kind of identifier be placed in app world descriptions so an "informed" decision can be made by buyers.  I'd like to avoid those apps until it's worked out in such a way that offers confidence when running them.

Thanks for the response foreverempty.  You rock!

Trusted Contributor
My Device: curve 9330/Playbook
My Carrier: verizon

Ripley2010 wrote:

I'd like to list the repetitive issues I have and am experiencing with my PlayBook and ask if anyone has any solutions to any of these issues, PLEASE help where you can.

#1)  App World isn't available in my country (USA) at least 2-4 times a week.

When you say is not available how long is not available? I also am in the US and while I do not go to app world everyday when I have attempted to visit it it has been available both on BB and the PB.

#2)  Applications shut down at random some times.

Do they shut down in the middle of being used? Do they shut down after some period in inactivity? Do you lose any data or stored information when restarting the application?

#3)  Touch is very slow to respond regardless of application/internet browsing/typing.

Is this a constant or does it occur every so often? As someone mentioned before if it is every so often then chances are that your memory is full and something needs to be closed or cache emptied.

#4)  Space bar sticks a lot.

Is is just the space bar or do any other letters/characters stick? Does sticcking result in repeating the space function or just the inability to use any other key?

#5)  Android apps remain in processing long after shutting them down preventing other apps from opening.

This may be similar to the memory issue suggested above..

#6)  Back ups fail and the only error message is "Back up encountered error".

Are you on a 16, 32 or 64 PB? How much storage space do you have left? If left than 15% it might explain some of the issues you are having. 15 to 20% is a range where some machines slow down. It depends on a variety of things and I have not seen the specs for the PB on this. It might be more or less.

#7)  (and this one is odd)  I have my gmail account setup in my PlayBook and all the settings are correct (i.e.. date, time, time zone, etc...) and when I send or receive a message on the PlayBook it's right as well.... BUT these sent and received emails through PlayBook are automatically sent to my laptop in Outlook and when they show up in Outlook, any email sent from the PlayBook shows a time difference of 4 hours. 

Example:  Yesterday afternoon at 4:17pm, I sent an email using my PlayBook while standing in my apartment so within a few seconds I heard my laptop chirp indicating Outlook had just received a copy of the email I just sent.  When I look at that email in Outlook, it says it was sent at 8:18pm while the computer time indicates 4:18pm so I know the system clock is correct.  Why would this be happening?  Outlook's data and time stamp are dependent on my system clock/calendar.  Weird.

Any help you can offer would be most appreciated.

The list you provided are items some of us have seen in a variety of environments not just with RIM. There are a variety of possible solutions. So you will probably have to tell us what you have eliminated as you have worked through the issues.

Contributor

App World honestly claims to be unavailable to me almot 50/50 and I check in with it pretty much every day at least once.  Multiple times when unavailable.

Apps shut down completely random... In use and not in immediate use.  The browser is by far the worst.  So far, no work has been lost.  The browser picks right up where it left off during shut down.  And it has usually happened when I have the native mail open as a secondary running app.

I'm running the 64 gig. I currently have 96 apps installed, all from App World and a total of 24 created files loaded... Mostly. Avi files and a few. Pdf files.  The most multitasking I've been guilty of is having three apps open at once.  Approximately half the hard drive space is used but I really hate to think that's it's limit before problems ensue, you know? 

The touch screen is dramatically slow all the time.  After I wiped the Playbook, it returned to normal, but again... Only utilizing half its supposed capabilities being enough to grind her to a halt like this is discouraging.

So far to date... The spacebar is the only sticking key.  ???

Here's the bottom line... These issues have plagued me pretty much since purchase and being an avid user of digital devices, I chose the larger 64 for that reason.  I have no choice but to accept the PlayBook's limitations if that is what's happening but if she becomes this unpredictable and unstable when only half her capabilities are being used, that's quite disappointing but I'll live with it.

I do hope the Android applications instability in the BB environment can be resolved in the near future though.  There are way too many useful apps I will have to give up if not.  Thanks for trying to help me out.  

Still rocking the best tablet ever I believe! 

Trusted Contributor

Ripley2010 wrote:

App World honestly claims to be unavailable to me almot 50/50 and I check in with it pretty much every day at least once.  Multiple times when unavailable.

Apps shut down completely random... In use and not in immediate use.  The browser is by far the worst.  So far, no work has been lost.  The browser picks right up where it left off during shut down.  And it has usually happened when I have the native mail open as a secondary running app.

I'm running the 64 gig. I currently have 96 apps installed, all from App World and a total of 24 created files loaded... Mostly. Avi files and a few. Pdf files.  The most multitasking I've been guilty of is having three apps open at once.  Approximately half the hard drive space is used but I really hate to think that's it's limit before problems ensue, you know? 

The touch screen is dramatically slow all the time.  After I wiped the Playbook, it returned to normal, but again... Only utilizing half its supposed capabilities being enough to grind her to a halt like this is discouraging.

So far to date... The spacebar is the only sticking key.  ???

Here's the bottom line... These issues have plagued me pretty much since purchase and being an avid user of digital devices, I chose the larger 64 for that reason.  I have no choice but to accept the PlayBook's limitations if that is what's happening but if she becomes this unpredictable and unstable when only half her capabilities are being used, that's quite disappointing but I'll live with it.

I do hope the Android applications instability in the BB environment can be resolved in the near future though.  There are way too many useful apps I will have to give up if not.  Thanks for trying to help me out.  

Still rocking the best tablet ever I believe! 

Great - The next time you are seeing no or slow response check to see what your free memory is. I have see that when it is under 275 or 250 MB the PB will slow down. With the PB design you should seldom run into that issue but I have seen it on my own PB on occassion. I I see it staying at less than 300 I start to close apps.

My understanding is the OS is suppose to limit that from happening as much as possible and in most cases I can tell you it does as advertised. Every so often though something allows it to be a memory hog. That can cause some of the symptoms you described. (although i must admit the sticking spacebar is a new one..)

Contributor

Please don't get too impatient with me on this... I have spent nearly 25 years building and repairing computers but the tablet invention is still fresh for me.  The lingo throws me at times.  When you say less than 300 MB, are you referring to hard drive memory or processor use?  I would panic if my hard drive space fell below 1 gig, much less 300 MB.  LOL

If you are referring to RAM, how can I check that on the PB?  I would love the ability to monitor my specs.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Ripley2010 wrote:

Please don't get too impatient with me on this... I have spent nearly 25 years building and repairing computers but the tablet invention is still fresh for me.  The lingo throws me at times.  When you say less than 300 MB, are you referring to hard drive memory or processor use?  I would panic if my hard drive space fell below 1 gig, much less 300 MB.  LOL

If you are referring to RAM, how can I check that on the PB?  I would love the ability to monitor my specs.

Not a problem.... the more people that understand the more people there are to help share what they know....

I am referring to the memory.

From the home screen

1. swipe down from the middle of the screen or touch the gear in the upper right hand corner.

2. Touch "about". It is the top item on the menu on the left.

3. Click on the diamond next to the word "general" in the gray area.

4. Select "hardware" from the pulldown menu.

You will see you

a. BBPB PIN

b Total storage - 16/32/64 depending on your machine

c. Free Storage - indicating how much free storage space you have left.

d. Total Memory - 1GB

e. Free Memory - This is the one that you are looking for. Mine typically runs between 400 and 530 depending on how much multi-tasking I am doing and what applications I am running.

f  Boot time - this reflects the last time your system was rebooted or turned on from a completely off position.

Hope this helps...

Contributor

WHOA, SWEET!  I had no idea this would tell me how much memory is in use at any given time.  I've only looked at those setting during initial setup.  Guess I could slow down are register what I'm looking at from time to time. LOL. Thanks!!