Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Apps crash immediately after starting

Hi there. I've having this problem with all my apps. I'll start any given app, I'll see it stat to load, and after 1 or 2 seconds it'll close. Browser, app world, kobo, facebook, everything. If I restart the device the apps will work for a few minutes and then the problem shows up again. I've got the latest version of the OS. Any advice?

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Apps crash immediately after starting

@jvnanu, sorry, no real idea how to help yet.

Can you confirm that this is happening with *all* apps that you try launching, when it starts happening? And that after it first starts, it does not just go away on its own if you try a dozen times, or leave the PlayBook sitting for an hour?

It sounds like a fairly serious problem, and I suspect you'll have no choice but to try doing a security wipe and OS reinstall (using the Desktop Manager) to try to recover.

I'd also contact RIM tech support for assistance if I were you.

How long have you had the tablet, and when did this problem first start showing up?

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Contributor

Yes. Every single app on the device. Some reach different points of loading. For example, one app my enter full screen for a split second before closing. Another may show the smaller, split/screen preview (the view that you go into when you're scrolling through open apps but you can still see your icons at the bottom) before closing. It's been happening for at least the last 2 OS updates, and it doesn't go away after several tries or after sitting for a while. I've had the tablet since day 1. Picked it up on whatever day it was released for sale to the general public. 

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Telus

Hi,

Has this ever been improved by rebooting? Several times I have had apps continually crashing, and rebooting has normally fixed that. Your situation sounds more severe, sadly.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

@Paulodactyl, in his original post he does say that restarting (rebooting, I assume) the PlayBook makes it work properly, for a few minutes, before it goes haywire again.

@jvnanu, as you've had the tablet since Day 1, I think you're probably out of luck as far as getting any attention from tech support, so I think a wipe or reinstall of the OS (apparently they are not exactly the same thing?) is your best bet. It's got its disadvantages, of course, such as losing your bookmarks and other such data (unless backups work for you... they don't for me). It may be your only real option though.

On second thought, you could try contacting tech support, on the off chance someone there is actually interested in helping you. Who knows, maybe this is a rare but bad problem that they're just dying to find out more about, and you're the only person around who can help them.... Smiley Indifferent

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

If you want to reload your OS then follow this

First I would like you to do a Back Up of your PlayBook using your computer and BlackBerry Desktop Software.

This can be downloaded for free from http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

After the Back Up is complete I need you to unplug your PlayBook and then push and hold down the Power Button until the unit Force Powers Off.

Now, while Desktop Software is still open on your computer and the PlayBook Powered Off, Connect the PlayBook to your computer.

You should see and error screen from Desktop Software pop up that has the options to Retry, Update, or Cancel.

QUICKLY choose the Update option.

This will erase all the information off of your PlayBook and Re-Write the Software back onto it. Once it's complete your PlayBook will need to go back through the setup wizard, and you can then perform a restore using Desktop Software to return your information. The only thing that won't come back after the restore are the apps that you downloaded from App World but they can be easily Re-Installed using the My World feature in App World.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell Canada

This happens to me too.  Not often, but I have seen it happen a few times.  Reboot fixes it.

My symptom is the app crashes immediately.  It can happen with any app, but most recently it was Slacker radio.  I tried to open 3 times and it kept closing instantly.  Then, I closed the AppWorld app (which was running OK), tried Slacker radio again, and this time it worked.

I think there's some kind of memory managemt issue that RIM needs to address.  Somewhere, memory is getting corrupt and causing random apps to not open properly

New Contributor

So the most recent software update (not sure what number - installed it about 10-14 days ago) fixed it. Everything has been working smoothly since. Not sure what it was...

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: rogers

I have the same problem.  The only way to use apps after my playbook has gone into standby mode is to restart it.  I have re-installed the OS three times. So this would lead me to believe there is a batch related hardware (component) issue since not everyone seems to have this problem, and OS re-installs don't seem to help at all.  I have had my playbook for about 9 months or so now.  I would have expected those of us impacted with this issue could send the defective unit back to RIM and they would send us a new tablet. But so far nothing from RIM even saying there is a problem.  

My Device: curve
My Carrier: telcel

i have a 32GB Playbook since 3 days. It has exactly the same problem. I can only use the calculator, view photos, BBM, contacts and messages. The camera works only 1 time. I don't know what can i do