Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
awws
My Device: Playbook 32

Are there any plans to support Bluetooth PAN so that Iphone bluetooth tethering would work.

Hello,

I have just got my playbook, but haven;t been able to bluetooth tether to my Iphone because the blackberry only supports Bluetooth DUN, and Iphones only support bluetooth PAN.

I can tether by wifi, but it is a real pain because every time I want to connect to the internet, I have to toggle wifi tethering on and off on the Iphone first, then wait for the playbook to make the connection (as the Iphone's wifi tether turns off after 90 seconds of inactivity).

If the playbook supported PAN then the Iphone would just wake up automatically (like it does for my laptop).

Could you tell me if there are any plans to support this, as if not then I probably need to return the playbook as having to do the Iphone wifi toggle every time I want to use it is just too irritating. And I specifically bought the Playbook for when I am working away due to its compact size.

Thanks

Alex

New Contributor
shianmiin
My Device: Playbook 64gb

Re: Are there any plans to support Bluetooth PAN so that Iphone Bluetooth tethering would work.

I would love to see playbook to support Bluetooth PAN profile. That makes it one step forward to a better mobile device.

Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

Re: Are there any plans to support Bluetooth PAN so that Iphone Bluetooth tethering would work.

The PB will only tether to a BlackBerry Phone.
New Contributor
awws

That's not correct. I have successfully tethered my playbook to an old nokia phone that supports bluetooth dun. I am not prepared to go back to that type of phone though.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

You are correct, I am wrong, however the iphone will not thether unless it is jb.You can do a search at Crackberry.com
Super Contributor
reconeyes
My Device: 32gb playbook

Sounds like a problem with the iphone to me....no backwards compatability....stupid apple always trying to make their devices so only other apple devices can connect to them...ditch the iphone,  grab an android.   

New Contributor
shianmiin
My Device: Playbook 64gb

Android phones do not implement BT/DUN off the shelf neither. BT/PAN is somehow like an Ethernet/LAN over BT and is relatively new. Although it can be viewed as a backward compatibility issue, in reality, BT/DUN has really fallen out of favor in the last few years.
Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook

Driod use wifi Hotspot to connect the pb for Internet.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
New Contributor
awws

I am doing that at the moment with my IPhone. Wifi can't be left on all the time due to the power consumption, with BT it can be.
New Contributor
slparry
My Device: 64gb Playbook

"

The PB will only tether to a BlackBerry Phone.
"

That's not true, I use a Nokia N8 smartphone and it tethers perfectly to it.