Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: BB Playbook
My Carrier: n/a
Accepted Solution

BB Playbook discontinued?

Greetings,

I purchased the BB Playbook in question last summer for my grandson. Yesterday a small part inside the tablet charger outlet fell out and the tablet is now dead. It was not because the tablet was mishandled because my grandson took very good care of it. 

So I start calling around to various local electronic stores including Bestbuy where I purchased the tablet. I wa told that the BB Playbook was discontinued 9 months ago! Is that correct? 

If that is the case I'd like to delete my credit card info from the BB site and tried to do that but apparently one has to do that via the actual device - which is broken and dead. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

One more question: shouldn't Bestbuy have informed me that the tablet I was buying would be discontinued shortly thereafter? 

Thanks!

Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook

Re: BB Playbook discontinued?

[ Edited ]

Hi Deborah, most people believe they stopped manufacture late 2012 and there are very few in the stores. Many devices like this have a limited life of a couple of years. Some people got them at the start of the life cycle and paid $600, others like you nearing the end of the life cycle should have paid no more than £200.   Unless you look at "rumors" sites you will never know because stores and manufacturers with outstanding inventory will not let the secret out til they have sold the last one. However the clue was the fire sale prices for the second year!  

Regarding the sharge port, you should be able to get a much better charger that uses the 3 pin magnetic socket next door. Look on Amazon for "Playbook Rapid Charger" for about $20 at most.

Blackberry Rapid Travel Charger for Playbook - Retail Packaging - Black

It is an excellent tablet, well worth the money and if you get the new rapid charger will serve a youngster well, however the normal usb charge socket is very delicate and for example if the playboook was used whilst on charge, or if the plug put in upside down just once, it breaks easily. 

PLEASE remove your visible  phone number which is accessible in your forum settings personal information under Carrier 

Sarah.
New Contributor

Sarah thank you so much! Now I understand why I only paid $175.00 Canadian for the BB. And you've given me hope regarding a Playbook rapid charger! My grandson hasn't turned 4 yet and I hate to have to buy another more expensive tablet for him at this age. Again, thank you for your informative answer! Deborah
Super Contributor

You are welcome.

I can still see your phone number displayed. You may have streange people phoning you.  Log into the forum. click on Settings then Personal information and type in None in place of your phone number in Carrier. 

Sarah.
Solutions: 6,124
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

sarah75, thank you so much for your very clear & helpful posts.

And to reiterate, the PlayBook rapid charger is a must have.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks, I just removed it. 

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

[ Edited ]

If it is the charger that has a fault, and the Playbook is okay there are many original chargers available. Visit http://www.crackberry.com   You should be able to buy chargers and accessories for the Playbook at that site. For a long time I have been buying spare batteries, and accessories from Crackberry.

There are many sites on the net selling new unused chargers and accessories on the net. There are also independent smart phone service centers that can service the Playbook.  We own a fair number of them. I am often buying something for one of them.  We have the 4G and WiFi versions.

I myself am dissapointed about the Playbook being discontinued. I and many others like myself like this tablet very much. As for the quality, data security, and performance of it, I have not been able to find something to match it. The closest in many ways that will come somewhat close to the Playbook is the new Samsung 8 inch tablet. I would not trust the security however because it is working on Android. 

Jerry G.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Jerry, that's all true, but if I was going to put my hand in my purse and buy a charger it would be the magnetic plug Rapid Charger. That way the little boy will not break the usb, but as part of it fell out I guess he already has. 

Sarah.
Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10, DC, 9810, 9800, 8520, Playbook
My Carrier: O2

uhhhh rather than jump on the charger wagon so soon I'd look around for a micro usb cable to usb.

Plug in cable to pc and see what happens.

If none of this works sure use the rapid charger :smileyhappy:
Tis Jaysus!
New Contributor

We weren't successful in finding a rapid charger. Only one electronic store in my area advertised having 14 of them on sale for $19.99 but when we went in - it was The Source - they told us that the shipment hadn't yet arrived from Vancouver and regardless all 14 had been reserved. I was perturbed by that because their estore said nothing about the 14 being taken. Also one of the reserves were for 5 and I strongly suggested to the manager that he should have at least made it one per customer. We went to Futureshop and bought him an android tablet. It's just a cheap Acer Iconia but it's working well and I was able to get all the game apps my grandson loves including Angry Birds Star Wars which wasn't available on the Playbook. Set-up was extremely easy and straight forward and by the next day my grandson was showing ME certain features. Remember, he's not yet 4. :smileyhappy: So I now have a completely working BB Playbook that only needs a charge.