Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
khushalbhadra
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: blackberry user

BB Playbook doesn't get detected on Mac/PC when connected via USB

I tried every single thing in the book but I am not able to make my BB playbook get detected as mass storage when trying to connect via USB on my PC/Mac. Lots of people are having this issue but not sure how to fix this?

Would appreciate a quick fix for the same.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Re: BB Playbook doesn't get detected on Mac/PC when connected via USB

[ Edited ]

May be better to turn off wifi first on Playbook. 

On a Mac you can go to Finder and Go then Connect to server and type in smb://PLAYBOOK-xxxx/Media  where PLAYBOOK-xxxx is the Tablet Network Name from Settings, Storage and Sharing , Network Identification, Properties .

While in there change USB connections to Connect to Mac, not Auto.  Turn file sharing on. 

Tablet Network Name can be used in place of IP Address in either Wifi or USB when Finder has not automativally made an entry in Devices.  It's useful as IP address can change especially on USB.

Thanks. However, this method that you are referring to is Wifi Sharing. My WIFI sharing does work.

But doesnt it detect as Mass storage on Mac OS X when i connect it.

I connect the playbook thru USB and nothing happens.

The same thing happens on my Windows 7 Laptop. Earlier on WIndows it used to detect as USB but this no longer works.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

The method using tablet network name works on usb or wifi, on mac and linux, otherwise I would not have spent time typing it in. If you actually tried everything I said including turning wifi off, the settings, without prejudice and in detail, on your mac and smb didn't mount pb, and if the windoze machine also cannot map a drive for the pb, then maybe your usb cable or socket is faulty. 

I will check the above on my Mac. However, on windows I am not sure if the socket or cable is faulty because i see some sort of action sometimes when it say playbook connected with a dismiss message. Also I used 2 three new usb cables and still it didnt work. Earlier I used to see a Drive on my windows machine but lately its not detected. Worried if the USB socket has stopped working.

Please use plain text.