Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
unappreciated
My Device: yes

BB + Playbook = problems, problems, + more problems

[ Edited ]

First, I admit in advance that this is something of a rant. This is the first time that I've actually signed up for a community forum--and it's only because I'm officially **bleep** as hell.

Short version: BB support sucks balls.

I have 3 PBs--only 1 of which has really been used; the other 2 were only turned on to get SW/OS updates.  I'll only address one of the devices here.

My BB PB is basically a brick now.

It's always had issues/glitches.  (I won't list them all here.)  Based on assurances by BB/RIM, I dealt with them, patiently waiting on the promised update of the PB to BB10.  That, of course, never came.

The major issue: It won't charge. Period.

It was officially turned on and setup in Dec 2013. 

Everything was initially fine--except a few OS glitches that I just dealt with.

Then I noticed that it would sometimes just would stop charging.  It'd be on and charging, then, still plugged in, the charging bolt would just leave.  If I then turned it off and back on, the PB would think the battery is dead.  Plugging it in didn't really help much, but if I restarted it enough times, it'd eventually show a more accurate battery level and allow charging again.

Eventually, nothing worked and it never charges up.  This began in late April, maybe early May.  I get the red and green/yellow light. I can get the slow pulse green/yellow. I can get the large red battery in the center of the black screen with the charge bolt.  And, if I leave it alone for long enough, it will even come on.  When it does come on, the battery indicator is just the red battery, without the lightning bolt charge indicator.

Then I bought stuff (in retrospect, just throwing good money after bad).  I bought a new USB charger--no change. (Yes, it's the yellow-tipped one that supposed to be better/faster/whatever.)  Then I bought the cradle--no change.  Then I bought the rapid charger--no change.  I left the PB to charge for over 24 hours--still no better.

I tried stack charging.  I tried the whole three-finger/button thingy.  I then tried plugging it in while doing the three-button thing.  I tried holding down the power button in variations of 10, 20, 30, and even 60 seconds.  Still, no better.

Reading through the forums hasn't helped.  Lots of the same repeated over and over (with slight variations) and no official way of knowing (1) what is supposed to work, (2) what works, but only with previous versions of the OS, and (3) what's just well intentioned nonsense.

All this time (and this is where I really began to get upset), PB support says, "Sorry, you're beyond 90 days, so we don't care."  Since 2 are still under warranty, I ask about sending it in.  I get back a link to a site (http://us.blackberry.com/support/tablets/playbook/contact-support.html) that offers two solutions: (1) email support and (2) check repair status.  Emailing doesn't help (because all they say is that they won't respond because I'm outside the 90-day window) and checking repair status is inapplicable (because I can't get far enough in the process to initiate a repair to check on!).  I've asked a few times and they've given the same no-answer each time.

I've also tried the Twitter support they insist on advertising as a support entryway (@blackberryhelp); let's just say they're totally NOT helpful.

At this point, I really think BB is just like, "screw it," and waiting on the warranty window to run out so they can be done with it (and me).

NOW:

(1) The whole battery mess is CLEARLY a known issue.  (Anyone that knows how to run an internet search can see that).  Why is there no OFFICIAL word from BB? I mean, really! For example, how do I know if the whole 3-button thing even has any merit? (Maybe some random person created it--well intentioned or not--but it really doesn't do squat.)  This is similar to the contacts issue (syncing of contacts sync may or may not require https, but I can't get clear instructions from BB) and the calendar issue (caldav works fine from device to cloud, but appointments wont "stick" to PB calendar if created on the cloud).

(2) It speaks great for a company to say, "Hey, purchase our product because we're going to update the software even more in a short while," and then say, "Nope, not happening and we're not going to do anything to recompense the misdirection we provided you, but thanks for being a sucker."  (Also, FWIW, I didn't expect, "You'll be able to run Android apps" to mean "but only if you sideload and jump through hoops.)

(3) Note to BB: If you want to expedite your downfall, you're definitely on the right track.  Why in the world would you throw long-term supporters under the bus like this??  How difficult would it to just send the **bleep** RMA or answer the question instead of the longer "Screw you" email that I keep getting?? Basic customer service.

GOOD LUCK to all of those that continue to hang in there with BB.  But for me, after 3 PBs and more BB phones than I care to count (not to mention playing a MAJOR role promoting my company's use of BBs), I'm done.  I can't imagine buying another BB product--and I definitely can't see continuing to promote the company.

Apologies for the rant.

Regular Contributor
bonematrix
My Device: PlayBook, Z30

Re: BB Playbook = problems, problems, more problems

In respect to point 1), perhaps you should consume a little knowledge before resorting to a rant....

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/knowledgebase/en-gb/KB27705.html

And...

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/knowledgebase/en-gb/KB26808.html

...that's the source, the BlackBerry Knowledge Base, where others who have tried to help you probably got their information...

Remember, in this life, yet get back what you give out... Which may be why you're...."unappreciated"

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

could be you got a bad one but coming here now 8 months later to rant wont help

do you want help or just post a rant?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
guri4205
My Device: Playbook

Re: BB + Playbook = problems, problems, + more problems

Playbook is full of problems starting from functionality to poor apps,I installed android app player on it and after that downloaded apps from blackberry world stopped working .Then I thought for trying to wipe out the data and again update to latest version but I was shocked to see none of the apps worked even after such a long work.The playbook is totally rubish as it cannot play android apps. And the apps available for it are very few.I am just tired of this **bleep** box and have nothing more left to say.I get angry when I think of having bought this tab,Google nexus may be much better than this.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

i have my original 3 playbooks stil running and use them alot

mine had a faulty camera which BlackBerry replaced under warranty

My sons was drained too low from an android app and i had to jump start it

my daughters never had an issue

my mother in law and aunt still have theirs working

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
guri4205
My Device: Playbook

Thanks for your reply sir.Even my playbook is working nicely but the biggest fault is its low app content,android apps work rarely,and other problems like it doesn't play YouTube on its browser.

Contributor
masterherm
My Device: 8530

Sorry to hear this.I just Bought a PB And  the charging usb mini port was Bad Right out of the Box!

New Contributor
unappreciated

[ Edited ]

@bonematrix

Thanks for the tone of your post.
Nope, those links are of no use. They describe (mostly) the charging behavior and lighting patterns (which shouldn't take a tome to explain, but I digress). My issue is different (unless I'm misunderstanding the post. I don't have an issue getting the pb to come on (temporarily), but the battery indicator (top right) never changes from the red battery outline and there is never a charging bolt indicator in the battery as expected when connected to the charger.

If I let it charge (even overnight on the rapid charger) then unplug it, it will run for a short period and then turn off.

"consume a little knowledge": Uhm, yeah. okay. Thanks.

New Contributor
unappreciated

[ Edited ]

@knottyrope

Thanks for being uber helpful. That was great.

Yes, I waited to post here. I've spent an exorbitant amount of time trying to get support from bb, to no avail--despite being in warranty. kudos.

New Contributor
unappreciated

@guri4205

I actually was quite pleased with the pb until this started.  Yeah, there are definitely a few apps I wanted, and I had false hopes (given by bb) of the pb running much better on bb10, but I would actually get over it if it would just work.  I wanted a few apps I couldn't find (and don't at all favor the whole mess required to get Andriod apps to run), but I would be okay and not feel ripped off if it just charged and didn't act a fool.

Oh, and I definitely want to see the CardDAV and CalDAV issues resolved.

My issue with wiping out data: I tried for the longest not to have to do that.  Aside from not remembering my app world pw (totally my fault), I'm worried about what will happen to my calendar info.  I spent tons of time loading that information via the pb (since it would sync properly when uploaded via another device and synced).  The worry is that even if this gets resolved the pb won't sync with all of the appointments, etc that I spent so much time typing.  (CardDAV never worked for me, so that is painfully not an issue of the same sort.)

I'd be totally happy if bb would stop being a *** and would just answer an email or take a call and either say, "Hey, correct the issue by doing this specifically and let us know if it doesn't work," or say "Hey, that's an issue.  Here's how to mail it in since you're still under warranty."  What pisses me off is bb just ignoring the issue and only responding, "Hey, you're past 90 days so we won't offer any additional information. Screw you." THAT is the real issue for me.  (as they run the clock out on the warranty)