Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

BB10 and the PlayBook

[ Edited ]

Any idea how the release of BB10 will impact the PlayBook? What is the difference between the PlayBook OS and BB10? I was under the impression that the Playbook's OS BBX is the foundation of BB10. 

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BB10 and the PlayBook

no one know when it will get BB10

just lots of rumors now

i heard a dev got it loaded on one but didnt share how he did it

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Cogeco

The PlayBook OS is based on QNX Software, the same as BB10. QNX has been around for a long time, since the early 1980's, is very stable. Check it out on Google to see how versatile this software is.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011

Good points. One would think it would be beneficial to have a single OS for all RIM devices. Maybe we will get Skype too?!?!?!:Yes:

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

I think RIM will be moving to the same OS for all devices. QNX runs within it's own microkernal while all Apps run on the outside. Therefore any changes done over the next few years will be on the APP side.
Skype may become available but don't hold your breath, it is now owned by Microsoft.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011

This makes sense.  By the way neither Skype or Netflix is a big issue with me, but it sure irks many PlayBook owners. 

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

Apple seems to think that anything rectangular in shape from a cell phone to a mattress is an infringement on THEIR patents. So RIM has to use different methods to do things, you cannot copy other people's work.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011

Funny!!
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
lcocea
My Device: PlayBook & Nexus 4

[ Edited ]

RIM should provide a release date for BB10 for PlayBook upon officially announcing BB10 on 30 January 2013. I have purchased my PlayBook tablets because RIM indicated BB10 would be available as an update for this device "soon" after the BB10 handsets are launched. Yet no release date for BB10 for PlayBook is publicly available at this time. 

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011

lcocea wrote:

RIM should provide a release date for BB10 for PlayBook upon officially announcing BB10 on 30 January 2013. I have purchased my PlayBook tablets because RIM indicated BB10 would be available as an update for this device "soon" after the BB10 handsets are launched. Yet no release date for BB10 for PlayBook is publicly available at this time. 

Are you surprised?  The last thing they want to do is muddy the waters right now.  

Please use plain text.