Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
MountainDew
My Device: Playbook

Re: BB10 and the PlayBook

The CBC (Mother Corp to Canadians) quotes a fellow by the name of Holleran saying, "We intent to bring BB10 functionality to PlayBook". He went on to say, "I can't reveal details about exactly when, but I can tell you that the Playbook picking up the BB10 code line is definitely on the roadmap for the future. "

Three months? Six months? Is anyone guess. Perhaps we will get some indication soon. 

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB

MountainDew wrote:

The CBC (Mother Corp to Canadians) quotes a fellow by the name of Holleran saying, "We intent to bring BB10 functionality to PlayBook". He went on to say, "I can't reveal details about exactly when, but I can tell you that the Playbook picking up the BB10 code line is definitely on the roadmap for the future. "

Three months? Six months? Is anyone guess. Perhaps we will get some indication soon. 

This makes strategic sense.  But we should not be surprised if BlackBerry 's focus is on releasing the keyboard model for now. 

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011

MountainDew wrote:

This makes strategic sense.  But we should not be surprised if BlackBerry 's focus is on releasing the BB10 keyboard model for now. 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
lcocea
My Device: PlayBook & Nexus 4

[ Edited ]

Wired said:

"The few ("only" 1.74 million) people who actually bought a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet can look forward to a BlackBerry 10 update. CEO Thorsten Heins says the company plans to provide its latest OS to all existing PlayBooks. Heins made the announcement Wednesday during a Q&A session after BlackBerry’s New York launchof the OS and first two BlackBerry 10 smartphones, the Q10 and Z10."

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/01/blackberry-playbook-to-get-blackberry-10-update/

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

I've had quite the long day today over this launch of BlackBerry 10, the new phones and the little input over the PlayBook. It's been exciting and frustrating all at the same time. I am quite frankly BB'ed out at the moment. Pretty excited about the launch but disappointed with their timelines and how they went about doing this launch and presentation which was kind of boring actually and missed out on so many feautres and points its not funny; no browser demo, no Viki voice demo, no maps and GPS, no useful specs (battery life). No mention about the PlayBook users getting an OS update on their stage presentation (not even in graphic/slide form).

Anyhow, I am excited that for sure the PlayBook will get BB 10 but still unhappy as to when this will occur. I am kind of in a "meh - whatever" state at the moment. I am disappointed for the availability of the new devices for the USA folks. I mean here in Canada, I could get a new Z10 early. I heard the Q10 comes in April from a video interview of a RIM presenter...March for the Z10 for USA customers...

PS, I posted a link to the update of Bridge earlier. I never did get the update on my 9810 so I don't know why that happened or whats up with that. I'm going to bed early...I am kind of mad.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011

The glass is definitely half full.  Good night!

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

godot2011 wrote:

The glass is definitely half full.  Good night!

You're right, it IS half full...should remember that. They have a lot of work to do to get these apps out there so it's going to be interesting to watch this unfold. Great news on major apps being on board. I don't use a lot of them myself but good for those who do.

Good night GoDot2011...see you around :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine

[ Edited ]

Thorsten Heins on CNBC video interview with regards to the BlackBerry 10 launch and specifically what's in store for the PlayBook which can be seen at 5:42-6:51 of this video http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?play=1&video=3000144771

He says that BlackBerry will continue to be in the tablet market and that all versions of the PlayBook will get BlackBerry 10 software updates (Wi-Fi and 4G version).

No timeline as to when we'll see this but that the software teams are currently working on this update.

Transcript: (I didn't type this out so spelling and punctuation are off - blame CNBC)

Thorsten, the play book, hardware was great. did not sell anywhere nearly as hoped. what are your plans for the tablet market? so the tablet market is something that has special roots at the moment in my view. you have to look at it from a profitability perspective and what the business models that are out there. the way i look at the tablet market, we will continue to be in it. however what i want to do is kind of dot same game play as with the blackberry 10 product opinion be good and really good in consumer when i do this. and have a service around it that has a position going just yornd the pure hardware price. making money on the tab set lifl. so if i could follow up, you say the same as blackberry 10. does that mean you will scrap the play book entirely and start over with a new tablet? no. what we will be doing, the teams working on this, we will take it the other way around. we will provide blackberry 10 updates for all play books out there. all upgradable it blackberry 10.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

First there is no dev beta, only a dev alpha, which suggests nowhere near ready.

Second, if it was any time soon the project would be on schedule and in final stage so a definite release date could be published. there is no marketing reason to delay now the phones are announced. 

So will it really be Soon? I doubt it. Weeks and weeks to go.

Bit off the topic, but I just read in the paper that some folks are whining about the lack of Google Maps.  For God's sake I am using my four year old Nokia E71 with their FREE off-line maps application all over the world. NEVER needed Google maps. What users should really want an off-line application to get rid of their dedicated GPS gadgets.  The screen size of the Z10 (and the PlayBook! ) beats my E71 any time.  I said good by the my Tomtom years ago. 

Please use plain text.