Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
clachankid
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: N/A

BB10 for Playbook

Hello,

Can you please tell me when BB10 for Playbook will be available? I am waiting for this before I would purchase the Z10.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
New Developer
ConnerT
My Device: BlackBerry(R) Curve 9300
My Carrier: GiffGaff

Re: BB10 for Playbook

Hi There,

Rumors have spread throughout the BB community that it is soon !

We as Developers dont actually know the realease date. so we cannot tell you (sorry)

Other than porting to an SDK for either a Beta Version, there is not much to do other than wait 

One thing i can tell you is that it is goinf to be within 2013 !

Hope This Helps

// Regards

ConnerT
------------------------
BlackBerry Developer and Enthusiast
------------------------
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

ConnerT wrote:

Hi There,

Rumors have spread throughout the BB community that it is soon !

We as Developers dont actually know the realease date. so we cannot tell you (sorry)

Other than porting to an SDK for either a Beta Version, there is not much to do other than wait 

One thing i can tell you is that it is goinf to be within 2013 !

Hope This Helps

I'm not buying their (his) lies any longer...I think the PlayBook is a dead duck now and shows you how RIM treats their customers. Dangle the carrot, say "soon" and then not deliver. With BBM coming to Android and iOS, there isn't any reason to keep waiting for apps when you can get them on another platform. The irony here is that iOS and Android will get BBM but BlackBerry's own PlayBook tablet won't!!!! LOL!

http://www.t3.com/news/blackberry-playbook-not-getting-blackberry-10-update

BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins downplayed suggestions that the company would be releasing a BlackBerry 10 update for the PlayBook instead focusing on what he described as 'the future view of tablets'.

Speaking at an executive Q&A with the world's press Heins was asked about the release schedule for a BB 10 update on BlackBerry PlayBook, the CEO then responded by avoiding the question directly instead focusing on their current products.

"We’ve talked about PlayBook numerous times now, the pure hardware play is not really making a lot of sense, now I have to think of BlackBerry 10 as a platform not just as a product."

"So going forward we will focus on that future view of tablet (whatever that constitutes) I want to focus on the future, and that’s where I’m going to spend our R&D money money on."

Only a few weeks ago the BlackBerry CEO was quoted as saying that tablets would in fact be gone in five years with tablets like the Kindle and the iPad being replaced by a single mobile device.

This would tie in with a leak today which stated that BlackBerry was working on a larger 5-inch version of the BlackBerry Z10 in an effort to take on the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S4.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
korDen
My Carrier: none

To quote Thorsten Heins,

"We will provide BlackBerry 10 software updates for all of the PlayBooks that are out there. So, the wi-fi and the 4G versions, they will all be upgraded to BlackBerry 10."

(source: http://nerdberry.net/2013/01/31/thorsten-heins-confirms-all-playbooks-will-get-blackberry-10-update/...

Too bad he didn't specify when. Could be tomorrow, could be 2015. Who knows?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

This is true, or so I thought. I mean I saw a video of him speaking to two ABC reporters back when they launched BB10 and the Z10. He flat out said YES, the PlayBook would get a BB10 update in 2013. It is true that he didn't say when exactly. There are 230 days until New Years Eve...so he has some time to make it a reality. But let me ask you, since all the new apps are going to be released on BB 10 and even BBM is going to be released for Android and Apple by the summertime of 2013 are YOU going to sit around and wait and do nothing? HOPING that Thorsten keeps his word and doesn't flat out pull an HP TouchPad and leave you hanging with a dead platform at the last minute with not even a sorry but we lied - sucker? Thanks but no thanks to you loyal PlayBook users for the 2.5 million purchases but you're SOL and not getting squat! Oh but please upgrade and buy our BB 10 phones...we'll be good, promise! Give me a break.

At THEIR VERY OWN BlackBerry Jam going on RIGHT NOW, he's been asked several times by several news outlets about the future of BB 10 on the PlayBook and he flat out deviates from the question in the best rendition of politics or lawyer speak I have ever heard. He WON'T give a flat out Yes/No answer and he won't give ANY details. It's a total tease answer and THAT IS HOW BLACKBERRY ROLLS (It's been over two years since the beta version of the PlayBook was released and it's STILL A BETA with MAJOR SOFTWARE FLAWS TODAY)...so be warned, stick your head in the sand or do whatever it is you do but realize you're being fleeced and taken for granted in the meantime. I will gladly eat every single one of these words IF I am ever proven wrong...Thorsten, throw down, here's your challenge.

Every single PlayBook user on this forum should be asking questions and demanding answers...you bought into their lies just like I did. Aren't you mad too?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kirshan
My Device: Torch 9800, PlayBook 64gb
My Carrier: Meteor (ireland)

[ Edited ]

I'm in complete agreement.

Blackberry users are practical people, who need to get things done, if a windows phone and tablet combo works better for them there won't be hesitation to switch, especially not if you have to compromise productivity.

By not keeping blackberry customers in the loop of the playbook's future and development they are loosing buyers of new products, it's frustrating and disheartening to feel that a company you trusted are letting you down, what's worse is knowing how easy it could be to get the os on the playbook.

I've been reading from a lot of people who are thinking of changing platform all because of this, and for every customer you loose your competition is strengthened, making the battle for blackberry harder than it needed to be.

Bb10 is a great os and that's all that people want, I don't think it would be wise to dismiss playbook users because most playbook users are blackberry users too, the lose of customers can spread like wild fire.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Monz
My Device: playbook 64gb
My Carrier: 3

I totally agree with you.....I just bought a playbook and its my first Blackberry device........fantastic piece of kit and thats from an Apple user.

BB10 is sooo important for the Playbook.......DO IT BLACKBERRY : D
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Paan

I'm writing in my mother language, german. If CEO Thorsten Heins read the forum he will unterstand.

Eine Entwicklungszeit von 3 Jahren wegzuwerfen, sei es in Bezug auf die Hardware und die Software ist unverständlich und töricht! Blackberry hat immerhin mit dem Playbook mich als neuen Kunden gewonnen und wahrscheinlich noch ein paar 1000'000 Neukunden mehr. All diese haben mit dem Gedanken gespielt sich auch ein Smartphone von Blackberry zu kaufen. Jetzt bin ich verunsichert. Niemand setzt auf ein totes Pferd. Vielleicht ist nicht das Pferd, sondern der Reiter tot.
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine

Paan wrote:
I'm writing in my mother language, german. If CEO Thorsten Heins read the forum he will unterstand.

Eine Entwicklungszeit von 3 Jahren wegzuwerfen, sei es in Bezug auf die Hardware und die Software ist unverständlich und töricht! Blackberry hat immerhin mit dem Playbook mich als neuen Kunden gewonnen und wahrscheinlich noch ein paar 1000'000 Neukunden mehr. All diese haben mit dem Gedanken gespielt sich auch ein Smartphone von Blackberry zu kaufen. Jetzt bin ich verunsichert. Niemand setzt auf ein totes Pferd. Vielleicht ist nicht das Pferd, sondern der Reiter tot.

Direct Google Translation For Those Following Along At Home: Throw a development period of three years, be it in terms of hardware and software is incomprehensible and foolish! Blackberry has at least the PlayBook as a new customer won me and probably a few more 1000'000 new customers. All these have played with the idea to buy a smartphone from BlackBerry. Now I'm confused. Nobody puts on a dead horse. Perhaps not the horse, but the rider dead.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Paan

...here the correct translation of the content:

To throw away a development period of 3 years for the development of the hardware and the software is incomprehensible and foolish! BlackBerry has won with the Playbook at last me as new customer and probably e few 1'00'000 more. All of these have played with the idea to buy a BlackBerry smartphone too. Now, I'm confused. No one opts for a dead horse. May be not the horse, but the rider is dead.

Please use plain text.