If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
beavertail
My Device: Playbook 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, Z10
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

BB10 runs native Android by partitioning?

Since there is not a BB10 support site yet. I will throw the question out here as PlayBook is QNX based.

After reading an old thread about running IOS on the Playbook, so why not run Android on PlayBook under BB10? Why do it in a round about way using Dalvik VM and getting partial result? 

There will be four cores in the Snapdragon S4. Can one or two core(s) be partitioned out to dedicate to run native Android?

Android is an open source and IOS is not. RIM can pick up the Android for free and immediate. 

I understand RIM doesn't want to be another Android.  Why not use BB10 for business application and Android for consumer application.  No need to reinvent the consumer ecosystem. It is out there for the taking...free!

Would not BB10 /Android be have the cake and eat it too?

Apple's real competitor is Android. RIM joining Android would be a great way to fight Apple,  wouldn't it? 

I like to hear what all the smart people here think.

Thanks. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: BB10 runs native Android by partitioning?

beavertail wrote:

why not run Android on PlayBook under BB10? Why do it in a round about way using Dalvik VM and getting partial result?  

Because that's the way Android works.  There is nothing "round about" about it. All Android devices run a Dalvik VM too. Most Android apps are Java apps, and thus more or less require a VM. If you were to somehow precompile Dalvik bytecode, it would most likely be incompatible.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
beavertail

Not a programmer myself. 

If all Android apps is a form of byte codes running on a Dalvik VM. Why can we get more Android apps running on the Playbook?

Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Because some Android apps use unsupported features such as Google services, or run low level code.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
beavertail

Thanks for your reply. 

Did some readings. 

Does RIM already uses Dalvik VM with Just In Time? If not, JIT could be an improvement. 

Why don't RIM do the repackaging of. APK code automatically and sign it with a general signature and then run it on the Playbook? It is up to the user to find out which one works and to source the. APK files from their Android phone. Or have some prescreening task to inform.

There are information out there to show how to convert. APK file and then sign it. Then download it via DDPB to the Playbook. Too complicated.  Simplify all this so average Joe can do it easily. All in a sudden the Android ecosystem is opened up even more wider. 

Leave the Play to Android and keep the Work for BB10.  Why reinvent the wheel?  Android is Open Source!

I am saying do something along the line I was describing.  I am sure there is a better way as I have just spent a week or so on this.

Please use plain text.
Developer
ignites
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

beavertail wrote:

There are information out there to show how to convert. APK file and then sign it. Then download it via DDPB to the Playbook. Too complicated.  Simplify all this so average Joe can do it easily. All in a sudden the Android ecosystem is opened up even more wider. 

Leave the Play to Android and keep the Work for BB10.  Why reinvent the wheel?  Android is Open Source!

I am saying do something along the line I was describing.  I am sure there is a better way as I have just spent a week or so on this.

Here are some reasons QNX is better than Andriod

1) QNX can scales up easier and better on a multi-core device 

2) QNX can multitask better than Andriod

3) Andriod is not fully opensourced (not all version of andriod are opensourced) - your OS updates is reliant on when Google provides it >> more complications

4) Andriod is an insecure OS (BB is all about security)

5) Andriod apps work but RIM prefereance is BlackBerry apps (andriod apps are iffy)

6) RIM cant make $ from app if the apps are sold on Google Play (minor issue but still RIM wants control over everything... security)

7) There are already well established players in the Andriod market (Samsung/HTC)

So ya those are the 7 reasons i thought of in 5 minutes =P

Developer for easyDial for BlackBerry Bold & inLink for BlackBerry PlayBook
Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
beavertail

Ignites,

I agree with you on the QNX CAPABILITIES.  Thank goodness for the foresight to buy QNX, TAT, Tungle etc. Where would RIM be today if these special task forces did not kick in to fix the fallen-asleep situation.  No wonder Heins is trimming 5,000 employees. 

RIM undoubtedly has the hardware, OS, security and enterprise.  Strong in Work and weak in Play. RIM wants to expand into Play (consumer). Competitors like Android and Apple want to expand from Play to Work (enterprise).

The missing piece for RIM is the Play apps - quantity.  

What I am suggesting is to leverage Android apps. It is possible to do that as oppose to the Apple apps as Google Dalvik code is Open Source.  I appreciate what you said about the Android fragmentation and increasingly difficult to treat Android as a single entity if developers were ever trying to optimize in one Android type, straying away from the basic fundamental set. I have used the Open Source term loosely. More trying to say the Dalvik with JIT is for the taking if desired, whereas an IOS emulator is not legally possible. 

Allowing Android apps to run on PlayBook or BB, is there a security issue? Doesn't RIM embrace Fusion that has a proper separation between Work and Play. Would a sandbox measure keep them at bay?

It is a chicken and egg problem. For RIM to regain market share, it needs lots of apps. Not much apps development interest when there is no market share.  So how to boot strap RIM so it can catch up and becomes relevant again?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
beavertail

Corrections from my original post. 

1) as Innovatology points out, all Android apps runs on Dalvik VM, so nothing 'round about' with PlayBook Dalvik VM.
What is round about is the way the .APK file needs to be manually converted and signed into a .BAR file, then load from a PC via DDPB. Can we do this easier? 

2) BB10 might not be using the four core version of the Snapdragon S4 PRO as I read more. Integrated LTE comes in the dual core. Many newly announced competitors are using it. So at least RIM will have a competitive CPU.

I read and learn from others.  Sorry for my confusion. 

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

Are you guys making this up for a joke, or is that all real stuff just way over my head?

________
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
beavertail

Troytempest,

Which part do you think is a joke?

RIM as far as I know uses Dalvik VM to run Android apps currently. I am asking if RIM has deployed Android VM with the JIT compiler?

Currently you can sideload Android apps onto the PlayBook that is not on Appworld. I did a.few myself through Goodereader.com. I have to wait for the BAR file to be available on the Goodereader.com so it is at the mercy of others. My choice of Android apps is still limited, better than nothing but limited. To do the APK->BAR conversion. I can do it if I go sign up at RIM for a signature, get all the software and make the conversion myself. Too much trouble. Why can't the process be collapsed and make it easy for everyone. RIM can prescreen or convert all workable Android apps (or based on request) and make a download site for that.  This is good business as it fills the lack of game apps hole. This is not a joke!

If you were Heins, how do you propose to bootstrap RIM in the consumer market so RIM can return to the top of the heap and not be ridiculed. Get serious and think to help to solve a big problem.

If you were a smart developer, develop something along the line where you can accept .APK file. Make more hardware IO mapping as most Android phones and BB10 all have similar hardware nowadays. 

Or are you too high up a guru, you can't see the problem and just please with your own code?

Hope to hear your response. 

Please use plain text.