Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
ilikecookies
My Device: 9700

BLACKBERRY GOING BANKRUPT!!!!!!

[ Edited ]

this company is going bankrupt because they can't get anything to work.

who makes an update that breaks key usability. ever since i updated to 2.0.1.358 OS i can't do file transfer.

> i've tried wifi transfer (doesn't seem to work on 2 different pcs)

> used different usbs

> uninstalled installed drivers, software etc.

i've tried everything read everything

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/2-0-1-358-OS-Update/td-p/1674695/page/2

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Upgraded-Playbook-to-2-0-1-358-and-can-no...

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Cannot-transfer-files-between-Playbook-an...

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

Re: BLACKBERRY GOING BANKRUPT!!!!!!

I have had my PlayBook for 10 months, no major problems. I can transfer files by wifi, by usb without problems. My Print to Go works great. My PlayBook has been fantastic.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

Here are instructions from another satisfied Poster that may help you. Carefully follow the directions if you want to be successful.

How to Map you PlayBook Over WI-FI.
Just a few days ago I wrangled myself a BlackBerry Playbook. A bit late, but that’s not the point of this article. Since I’ve gotten it I’ve done my best to explore many of the features (and lack thereof) that it has. I could spend literally hours raving about what I love (and ranting about what I hate) but this write up is far more limited in purpose than that. I want to talk about a very nifty little feature the Playbook has, and give directions for even the most un-tech-savvy reader to be able to use it (provided you have Windows 7 – I’m not sure what people with different OSes will be able to do). Once I figure out how to do this in linux I may do an additional write up, although most linux users probably won’t need much help.

The very cool feature the Playbook has (as you might have gathered from the title of this article) is built in wireless access to your files over your WiFi network. I wish my BlackBerry had this feature, but that’s neither here nor there. Heck, as far as I can tell my Android device and iTouch don’t do this either.

Many people already know about WiFi access; I’m taking this a step farther. This will show you how to create a shortcut to your Playbook files in your Computer folder, complete with a pretty little bar showing you how much space you have left.

Ok, here we go! [insert adventure music here]

Step 1: Make sure your Playbook is connected to Wifi.

Step 2: On your Playbook, go to Storage and Sharing and enable File Sharing and Wifi Sharing. You can enable a password if you want. I didn’t bother.

Step 3: On your Playbook, go to about and select the network tab. Take note of your IP address (IPv4). It’ll be something like 192.122.2.1. Sorry that I redacted my IP address, I’m sure you understand

Step 4: On your computer, click on the top bar and type your Playbook’s IP address. Notice that there is a \\ before the IP address; you MUST include this.

Step 5: Right click on the media folder and select “Map Network drive…”

Step 6: Assign a Drive Letter (whatever you want, it doesn’t matter. I used P for Playbook). Click Finish.

Step 7: Have a brew, and reflect on how cool it is that you can access your Playbook over WiFi quickly and easily by just clicking on the icon in your Computer directory.

You can browse the files on your Playbook now by clicking the Network Location. You can easily copy files to and from it whenever you want. You can also change the drive name by right-clicking it and selecting “Rename.” You can add in other PB's, add memory sticks and drag files whereever you want.

Thanks to: http://opensourcebb.com/
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ilikecookies
My Device: 9700

i've already followed these directions and for whatever reason they don't work.

but.. i did manage to get wifi sharing to work after wasting an hour of my life.

but this solution isn't ideal, i'm wasting bandwidth transfering movie/music files when i don't have to. its also slow.

this isn't an isoluted issue, rim fudged up and they haven't even bothered trying to fix the problem. 

as to all those ppl who say their playbook is awesome. yeah me too. no issues, until now. it only takes one time to annoy the **bleep** out of you.

this problem isnt some random problem, its a systematic problem at RIM, and its the reason why no one if buying their phones and the company is going in the crapper.

i was actually looking forward to the Blackberry 10, and possibly even going back to blackberry from android, but this sole issue has made me lose confidence in this company.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

When you are transferring movies etc via wifi on your network, you are not using bandwidth from Rogers. Retry the procedure, you must have made an error. It is pretty basic.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,951
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

ilikecookies wrote:

i've already followed these directions and for whatever reason they don't work.

but.. i did manage to get wifi sharing to work after wasting an hour of my life.

but this solution isn't ideal, i'm wasting bandwidth transfering movie/music files when i don't have to. its also slow.

this isn't an isoluted issue, rim fudged up and they haven't even bothered trying to fix the problem. 

as to all those ppl who say their playbook is awesome. yeah me too. no issues, until now. it only takes one time to annoy the **bleep** out of you.

this problem isnt some random problem, its a systematic problem at RIM, and its the reason why no one if buying their phones and the company is going in the crapper.

i was actually looking forward to the Blackberry 10, and possibly even going back to blackberry from android, but this sole issue has made me lose confidence in this company.

Perhaps if you were nice and cut out all the insults someone knowledgeable might come in this thread and help you.

You're ranting about RIM in every single thread. Lost at Sea has been kind to assist, I don't see others attracted to your vile posts, so clean it up, and good luck with it all.

Otherwise, suffer at your own bad attitude.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

my son disabled files sharing by USB on his playbook and I wasted an hour trying to figure out why the PC was not connecting.

Some times its the simple things that bite ya

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
chipstr1
My Device: Blackberry Z10

This worked rel well for me.  Thanks for the tips.  Question:  Can I also view files on my PC from my Playbook?  If yes, how?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Yes you can via wifi or USB

How to transfer files to and from the BlackBerry PlayBook

os sync files

How to synchronize media from a computer to a BlackBerry PlayBook

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.