Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
im-obiwan
My Device: Playbook OS 2.0.0.7971

Battery Issues

I have been reading so many things about the PlayBook battery that I am a bit confused.  Some posts on this forum suggest that you can't recharge the PB if it is turned off however mine has always seemed to.  My issue is that I turned my PB off last night and didn't plug it in to charge because it was nearly 60% charged.  Today when I tried to turn it on it was completely dead.  I wonder why and if anyone else has had this problem.  Mine never seems to hold the charge as long as my husband's PB and we bought them the same time from the same store.  Very strange that some seem to work more smoothly.  Any thoughts /suggestions on the best way to "care " for the battery?  Is it safe to leave it plugged in when not in use?  

:Wacko:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
vectorczar
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 16GB

Re: Battery Issues

I believe that initially (with an earlier OS), the PB had to be on to charge. That changed with the 1.8 OS.

You may try the 'Stack charge' method (search under 'PB Won't Start or Light Just Blinks')- that worked for me.
"Welcome to my sky."
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
jecsc620
My Device: curve 9330/Playbook

What you described is not typical.

1. How long have you had the PB?

2. Can you tell us how you turned off the PB?

The stack charge may work if the system is not holding a charge, but in the off mode there should not be a power drain like yuo mentioned.

People have described the power consumption like you mentioned when they have left the wifi on and the PB in standby mode. Not to the degree where there was a 60% drain but there was a noticeable power drop.

Most people can use their playbook through most of the business day without having to charge their PB depending on usage. So again a drain of 60% in standby or off is not typical.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

The battery if drained to zero and with a low voltage will shut the PB down. If it is low but above that specific voltage, you can shut it off and it will connect to the charger and recharge over the next 4 to 6 hours.
When the battery gets to a low point, you will receive an alarm and indicator telling you to connect to the charger. You should heed its warning because if it automatically shuts down, there is some difficulty in getting it recharged.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
im-obiwan

We just bought it perhaps 3 or 4 weeks ago. I always turn it off using the "battery" icon in the upper right hand corner. I never leave it on standby overnight. This morning it was recharged to 100% but after less than 10 minutes on the internet the battery was already down to 90%. Seems crazy to me :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
im-obiwan

Thanks. I have the newest version so it is good to recharge while off. I was able to get it to recharge from its "dormant" state. My concern was why did it drain overnight when turned off? Guess I'll never really know.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
im-obiwan

[ Edited ]

:Angel: Thanks everyone for your help.  I'll just have to keep an eye and keep it plugged in.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

I have checked mine on several occasions. If I leave it fully charged overnight but not connected to the charger and in standby it reads 97% in the morning. If I leave the same way with wifi running, it reads 97% also.
The is a KB (knowledge base) article written about the battery draining faster but this problem was with a very early version of the OS. You can read it by googling KB26855, maybe you can try the solution they suggest.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
chuckles1001
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Since update 2.0.1.358 when my battery gets to 9% a warning come up telling me, before the update the warning was displayed but i had jsut under an hour left now after a couple of minutes the playbook just shuts down, another gtreat Rimming from RIM... Anyone else got this pronblem???

Please use plain text.