Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
mopsandpops
My Device: Playbook 32g
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

Battery charge won't hold

I need help!  A couple of days ago I was reading a book on my PlayBook for at least 2hours and and the charge still showed 100 per cent. And when I left the PlayBook in stand by mode over night the charge hardly changed at all. This morning the charge was at 38 per cent when I left it  at 100 per cent last night.  Now the charge is disappearing - even on stand by - at the rate of 10 per cent in less than half an hour.  I'm new to PlayBook so I'm not sure what is normal. Could someone help?  Many thanks.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Battery charge won't hold

have you tried restarting your playbook?

also can hold power button down for 20 seconds to reboot it too

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mopsandpops

I have tried that but it doesn't seem to make any difference.  The charging is still going down way faster than it was a few days ago.  Many thanks for replying. 

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

[ Edited ]

mopsandpops wrote:

I need help!  A couple of days ago I was reading a book on my PlayBook for at least 2hours and and the charge still showed 100 per cent. And when I left the PlayBook in stand by mode over night the charge hardly changed at all. This morning the charge was at 38 per cent when I left it  at 100 per cent last night.  Now the charge is disappearing - even on stand by - at the rate of 10 per cent in less than half an hour.  I'm new to PlayBook so I'm not sure what is normal. Could someone help?  Many thanks.

Restart the Playbook (as suggested). Run the battery down to at least 5% left. Then leave it on charge with the original Playbook charger for at least 8 to 10 hours. See if it returns to 100%. The idea is to re-set the pre-scaling for the battery level reading. 

The problem with any of these battery level readings on these devices, is the uPC in the system tries to determine the battery level using programmed data. The current draw, average voltage reading, and time factor is all calculated together according to a set of formulas in a program that is part of the OS. Then an estimated numeric value is instantaniously displayed. Remaining battery level is actually fairly complex to determine accurately by using simple measuring techniques. 

I realize it is very disconcerting to not have an accurate estimation of remaining battery life before requiring re-charge. When especially doing serious work it is important to know if the device is going to shut down on you. 

I had a similar problem with my Blackberry Torch when it was new. I am a heavy user and require the phone for my work. I was not having proper battery readings. What I did on my days off was run the battery down to the point where the phone was giving me warnings that it was going to shut down. The battery indicator turned red, and the phone was beeping. I did a full charge on it.  I repeated this three times, and since then I had no problems. 

Jerry G. 

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mopsandpops

Thanks so much for your help.  I have tried your suggestion twice now and the charging is holding much better although not as well as it was originally.  I will keep trying.  Cheers!  Karen 

Please use plain text.