Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
My Device: playbook
Accepted Solution

Battery drain since upgrade

Since the upgrade the PB battery life in standby seems to have dropped dramatically.

I used to be able to leave it on a full charge for more than 24 hours if I wasn't using it. Now, a mere 8-10 hours of not being used seems to drain it to below the 10% mark.

Wifi is turned off as it seems connectivity is not compatible with the router where I'm staying and it is not worth the effort to try to connect as I have other devices that can.

Does anyone know why the battery life would have been affected by the update?

I ditched my BB Pearl years ago because battery life took a similar nose dive after a few months of use.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Battery drain since upgrade

Sorry - to clarify - by upgrade I did mean the most recent o/s software update. I had missed one, so the last update did the two most recent at the same time.
Solutions: 6,065
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

There's no difference in battery life in the most recent 2.1.0.1314 update.

Do this, leave your PlayBook to charge and while charging, touch the battery icon > Restart.

Now, over the next day, please note if the battery life seems to revert to a better state.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor

Ok - thanks - I'll give that a go and see what happens.
Trusted Contributor

Tested and there is a definite problem.

Left to charge and restarted - battery has dropped from 100% to 39% in less than six hours despite no use and wifi turned off.

Normally I have noticed almost no drain in those conditions for similar amount of time. I can usually leave it for a day or so without worry.

It is going to be a real pain if I have to shut down every time I want to put it aside. Battery life was why I abandoned the BB phone and this seems to be a repeat of the same old problem.

How long (or short) can others leave a PB in standby before needing to recharge?
Trusted Contributor

Seems to be losing 1% approx every 3 minutes with occasional app use (just a mahjong game) - suggests 5hr battery life.
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

gumnutninja wrote:
How long (or short) can others leave a PB in standby before needing to recharge?

9 days with WiFi off...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32

gumnutninja wrote:
Seems to be losing 1% approx every 3 minutes with occasional app use (just a mahjong game) - suggests 5hr battery life.

Delete all your email accounts and repeat the experiment.

________
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800, PB 16G

mine 2, on standby over night droped to 87% from full charge

something else, brfore update when i was connected to my desktop the battery would charge via USB (slow charge but charge never the less) now when i plug up to the USB it tells me the battery can't charge through the USB

Trusted Contributor

@Troy.. PB can't seem to figure out the accounts. Went to settings/accounts and there is just the green "working on it" circle spinning. Can't delete or add - default accounts and add new account buttons are greyed out; pencil/edit button is visible but inactive because the existing accounts aren't loading.

Maybe repeatedly looking for the accounts in the background is causing the drain?

I had a glitch happen a few days ago where it crashed and then was stuck on the start up screen but it seemed to resolved itself eventually.

If I need to restore from a previous backup, can I save the more recent photos from the PB first? Those are the only new data since backup of importance. Not sure if I backed up post-update, but had no problem updating.