Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n-a

Re: Battery drain since upgrade

Btw - is there any reason the battery would drain when I've shut down the PB by pressing the "off" icon (tapping battery icon)??

I had turned it off to not have to worry about battery drain and seem to be back to the whole - stuck again on the start screen problem of a few days ago.

I prefer to just put it in the suitcase and forget about it until next week when I can connect it to wifi again. Or should I just leave it plugged in and forget about it instead.

I will be travelling in January - am now doubting whether the PB is good for travel, given I don't know the router situations for the hotel. Thoughts/experiences?
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
malie1
My Device: Torch 9800, PB 16G
My Carrier: Att

Yes I added them back
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,881
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

gumnutninja, I traveled through three European countries with mine and no issues. And brave enough to leave the laptop at home. No probs.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja

Thanks jsanders! Good to know. I have gotten caught by surprise a couple of times leaving it on standby while on walkabout (really don't like RIM's concept of standby) but have never had such problems as this trip. Am still wondering if there is any reason for it to be draining the battery when turned "off" - which seems to be happening if the frozen start screen is any indication. If so, am I ok to leave it plugged in until I can travel back home and hopefully sort out the problem with the accounts??
Please use plain text.
JSanders

Yes leave it plugged and charging until you return 

I had the same heavy battery drain on a recent release (.1088, I think) and deleting and readding my email accounts resolved it, same as advised above.  

I'm not sure about the off state.battery drain. Are you sure there's no app which be monitoring and updating, like a weather app or rss reader?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pdej
My Device: PlayBook 64Gb
My Carrier: no provider

I had similar problems when on holiday over Xmas. Attributed to failure to log on to Captive Portal. Something seemed to continue to run on the PB even when switched off (not standby). Consequently it completely drained the battery and I was unable to restart it. Other times after re-charging It would go through the start up procedure then give up and switch itself off. The solution was a hard reset by holding down the power switch button and the up down volume switches for 20 seconds, and then not attempting to access the local wifi Captive Portal. if I did I would have to go through the whole rigmarole again of resetting the PB.

On return to UK, further testing on Captive Portals has produced mixed results. Some have worked while others have failed. 

Do hope RIM gets this one sorted as the PlayBook as a protable wifi device would appear to be not fit for purpose if can't access Captive Portal hotspots.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chooday
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Etisalat

.1Re: Battery drain since upgrade

i need help pls.. wat should i do... playbook isnt even charging, and battery is fast draining out, after update to .1088

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chooday
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Etisalat

Re: Battery drain since upgrade PLS HELP FAST!

i jus upgraded my playbook this morning to OS .1088.. not only is my battery fast draning out, it also isnt charging, and also isnt viewable on m computer any more. When i plug in the USB, my laptop isnt recognizing it. So, I cant backup or do anything else.. PLsssssssssssss HELP fast!

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Re: Battery drain since upgrade PLS HELP FAST!

chooday, LEAVE it connected to the wall outlet charger (not the USB > PC charger).
Leave it connected for 24 hours... every 3-5 hours, press and hold the power button only for about 20 seconds. Eventually it will boot on up, but first must reach a certain charge level.
You will see the blinking red and perhaps yellowish LED light, and perhaps a symbol on screen of "no battery". That means the battery is drained, but it must reach a certain charge before powering on.

Also, re: your other thread: you need to further upgrade to the latest OS. .1088 is several months old, and was not a good release.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja

Got back to a known network and everything seems fine. Will keep an eye on standby battery life moving forward but off-state drain problem is no problem - am wondering if I might have powered it off in such as way that it rebooted without me realizing it. Thanks all!

Please use plain text.