Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: O2
Accepted Solution

Battery drains overnight when accounts are set up

We've got 2 Playbooks in our house.. both are on the latest OS version. As soon as I add my Google account, the battery gets drained at approx 5% every 30 min. The back of the tablet is warm around the logo. As soon as I delete the account the power consumption + case temperature returns to normal.

I've tried this multiple times over the past 8 months (different OS versions) and always turn off push notifications, and set it to 'Manual' retrieve instead of any interval at all.

None of this makes any difference. I've read other threads (like this one) but still have the issue.

Any ideas?

Matt.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Battery drains overnight when accounts are set up

Hi kinhell,

Just to clarify, does this happen with both BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablets?  Is this only with Gmail® accounts?

Thanks.

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

Hi. Yeah, I've just tried it with my wife's Playbook, and it drains the same, at approx 10% battery per hour. My Gmail account is the only one I've tried it with.

Matt.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

I use Gmail and have not seen this. But I find that if I am at a fringe area for my wifi signal, it tries to lock onto many different signal every few minutes and I have noticed that my battery will run down quickly. In cases like this I turn off the wifi sensor. Maybe worth checking this out.
Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

I too have gmail account set up with standard push left on, in fact all I do to add the gmail account is put in address and password and hit continue then save. No advanced settings.

About a year ago there was a series of posts saying that manual polling generated exactly your problem.

________
New Contributor

Thanks.. switching it to Push updates did the trick. Well that's totally a bug in the 'Manual' update option.. there's me using it because it sounds like it'd save batteries, not drain them & heat up the Playbook.

Highlighted
Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

kinhell wrote:

Thanks.. switching it to Push updates did the trick. Well that's totally a bug in the 'Manual' update option.. there's me using it because it sounds like it'd save batteries, not drain them & heat up the Playbook.

It’s totally illogical but it has been mentioned before. 

________