Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
SteveGosch
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

Battery is 0% and won't recharge at all?

( Note: I've looked at the other threads regarding 'slow or no' recharging - and none of the advice there has helped here - hence this new Post )

Product:                  BlackBerry PlayBook
OS Version:           2.0.1.358 (it says its 'the latest')
New Date:             2012, March 10.

My PlayBook has drained out to 0% Charge, has turned itself off, but then will not recharge the battery no mater how long it is in charge mode on recharge (whether Off, or on StandBy via the Recharger; or via a USB to Mac desktop (i.e. via a different cable) ) - it remains at 0%, evermore?

It goes through the correct 'light' signals: first 'red', then a solid 'yellow/greenish', then a pulsating 'yellow/greenish'. The battery symbol shows 'recharging' - as per the lightning bolt symbol, but it remains at 0% regardless of 12 hours or as-much-as 24 hours sitting on the charger?

It is a 'genuine' low reading, as once the PlayBook is disconnected from the charger, it will only operate for about 1 minute before it turns itself off again.

i.e. The battery seems to be very close to DEAD?

This is very surprising as I received it brand new from RIM in mid March 2012 - only 4 months ago - (as an app developer).

It has had a lowering maximum charge for some weeks now e.g.: two weeks ago it would not go above 6%,  last week it wouldn't go above 4%, and this week it won't go above 0%.

i.e. the battery is looking decisively Dead.

I've emailed to 'playbooksupport@blackberry.com' - but it simply bounces, with a matter-of-fact, do-not-reply email, presumably because my PlayBook serial number indicates that its older than 3 months (i.e. I've had it just 4 months).

I am in Australia, there seems to be no on-the-ground support here for BlackBerry (phone numbers via web are both North American), hence why I'm coming to this Forum, as my next-step in resolving this impasse, before going into mainstream channels for advice/feedback.

Thanks in Advance for any constructive help,

Steve Goschnick, Twitter: @stevegoschnick 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BP4567
My Device: blackberry playbook
My Carrier: rogers

Re: Battery is 0% and won't recharge at all?

Hi:

We seem to have the same problem, except mine does not even light up anymore.  I had the charger checked out and it is okay.  I have been trying everything suggested here to fix the problem, but nothing seems to work.  Let me know if you find a solution. 

PS Check out my post Playbook won't charge

Please use plain text.
dboutcher
My Device: bold 9900

Hello

The first thing to do when you get a new electronic device is to charge it for 24 hours or device will not charge.

But I can solve this

do you have another charger that will also fit into your playbook, well plug it into the blackberry playbook then after the device is charged you can use a regular blackberry charger

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Boxy7
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9860/9850
My Carrier: Telstra

Hi Steve,

My PlayBook did the same thing (after only 1 months worth of use) as what you are talking about here and the only thing I could work out was the battery is completely drained!! I took it back to the store at which I got it from and they are sending it away for repairs to get fixed. Before doing this I did attempt all of the battery jump-starting recommendations listed here on this forum but to no avail!! I am sure that your device would still be under warranty at the store at which you got it from and would therefore be asking them to send it away for repair. P.s. mine has only just been sent away for repair as of last Friday and hence I am still awaiting advice back from the repair shop as to what the actual program is.

Boxy7

(A.k.a. Jarrod)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BP4567
My Device: blackberry playbook

I am also having the same problem as Steve.  I started a post Playbook won't charge.  I have tried everything.  So a different charger will work on the playbook?  I must check that out.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SteveGosch

As mentioned in my original post, I've tried to charge it via USB to an iMac desktop - to no avail. (It is recognised, as I can move files between them with Mac Finder).

I've since tried it with the recharger that comes with the Sony Galaxy SII phone, also to no avail (n.b. it recharges the Sony phone al pronto).

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Cogeco

Connect the PlayBook to the charger that came with the unit. Since the batteries are totally dead, they will come back to life. Connect them and leave them for a few days. Afterwards hold down the power button only until the red light flashes and allow it to reboot. Try not to let the battery go below 10% in the future.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Boxy7
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9860/9850
My Carrier: Telstra

I have also read elsewhere that the BlackBerry Rapid Charger dock helps when the battery is completely dead? (only thing is that the BlackBerry Rapid Charging dock doesnt come with the PlayBook and has to be purchased in addition to the purchasing of the PlayBook itself)!!

Anyhow, once I get my PlayBook back from the repair shop I am definately investing in one of these also albeit simply for the quick recharge of my PlayBook!! It will be an added bonus if it does charge up the PlayBook once it is completely dead although once I get my PB back I am just going to be leaving it on 'standby mode' and will not be shutting it off completely while charging as this is when it wouldnt re-start for me again and will not be letting the battery indicator drop below 10%!!

Boxy7

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SteveGosch

[ Edited ]

>Connect the PlayBook to the charger that came with the unit. Since the batteries are totally dead, they will come back to life. Connect them and leave them for a few days. Afterwards hold down the power button only until the red light flashes and allow it to reboot. Try not to let the battery go below 10% in the future.

Tried that - its still sitting at 0% when it boots (i.e. still plugged into mains).

If I disconnect it from mains, it goes for about 1 minute, then turns itself off - so the battery percentage reading is relatively accurate.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SteveGosch

[ Edited ]

>I have also read elsewhere that the BlackBerry Rapid Charger dock helps when the battery is completely dead? (only thing is that the BlackBerry Rapid Charging dock doesnt come with the PlayBook

If I knew it had a high chance of working, then I buy the Rapid Charger, but, since this is really flying-blind, it would most likely be good money after bad.

Anybody in Melbourne with a 'BlackBerry Rapid Charger' for PlayBook, so that I can suck-it-and-see? To borrow or rent.

Please use plain text.