Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Developer
xeozus
My Device: Playbook 16GB

Re: Battery is 0% and won't recharge at all?

[ Edited ]

I have a BAD solution. You can try it, if your warranty has expired. And do at your own risk.

My playbook wont charge anymore, after one month of purchase. I've tried many different solution on this forum, but none of all solution, bring my playbook charged back.

After frustation, i disassemble my playbook. Taking out the battery. I open the "black tape" near the battery circuit to measure its voltage. Its measured for about 2.x Volts.

And then i've experimented to direct charge the battery from its connector, using any standart phone charger or usb voltage standart, with chopped of cables. I leave it for maybe 10 hours.

After that, i measured again the battery using multimeter. And now, the battery voltage is about 4.8 Volts.

I'm affraid its overcharged, because on the battery its written 3.7V.

I re-assembled my playbook. And push the power button. It seems my playbook wont power on. :Shifty:

And then, i plug the "playbook original charger" to the device. It's turned on, i can push the power button to continue booting.

After booting finished, on the battery status it's written 100% charged. Thank's to God. It's now work normally with or without the charger plugged in.

I've leave the charger plugged from night until morning, while playing music on my playbook.

On the morning, the battery still on 100%. So, i assume some portion of charging mechanism on my device is normally.

For now, I still inspecting my battery, i hope my playbook will charge and discharge normally again.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BP4567
My Device: blackberry playbook

Interesting solution.  I did think about taking it apart, but not sure how.  I was hoping my husband would give that a try, but he does not seem to want to.  I have tried just about every suggestion here.  I may end up taking it apart.  I have to say I am not impressed with RIM and I am disappointed in the playbook.  I would certainly not consider buying another playbook.  I may purchase an IPAD one of these days.  I have the IPOD and it works great. 

Please use plain text.
New Developer
xeozus
My Device: Playbook 16GB

i am following guide on this site to take appart my playbook.

On frustation several time ago, i also buy an iPad. But there was some disappointment. iPad loudspeaker is only one, not stereo like playbook.

And the sound quality, playbook is the best. Far better from any tablet i ever had.

Playbook sound, is even better than my macbook pro's loudspeaker.

That is the most reason, why i must revive my playbook. Because i am very missing to hear music from it.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SteveGosch
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook

>Connect the PlayBook to the charger that came with the unit. Since the batteries are totally dead, they will come back to life. Connect them and leave them for a few days. Afterwards hold down the power button only until the red light flashes and allow it to reboot. Try not to let the battery go below 10% in the future.

Day 2: Eureka! its up to 47% !! :smileyhappy:

Took the advice immediately above. Held down the power button until the red light came on - about 20 seconds - it didn't flash though, it simply went off again. The PlayBook then booted but the battery was still at 0%. Left it on stand-by and recharging, rather than Off and recharging, as the charger was warm then - i.e. drawing power - (and not warm, when Off and recharging). Its on its second day of recharging. I'll push the 'solved' button when its 100%.

P.S. In the interim I also deleted about 15 downloaded games from it, via App World interface, but not all such games, and I didn't touch any apps that came with it pre-installed. That may or may not be relevant.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

Good news. I am glad someone took my advice. The games can be reinstalled from App World without problem.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SteveGosch

Thanks Very Much for your time and effort at good advice 'Lost_at_Sea'.
Patience remains a virtue:smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

[ Edited ]

xeozus wrote:

i am following guide on this site to take appart my playbook.

On frustation several time ago, i also buy an iPad. But there was some disappointment. iPad loudspeaker is only one, not stereo like playbook.

And the sound quality, playbook is the best. Far better from any tablet i ever had.

Playbook sound, is even better than my macbook pro's loudspeaker.

That is the most reason, why i must revive my playbook. Because i am very missing to hear music from it.

where exactly did you apply the power to revivie it?

never mind, i found a way to jump start it http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Jump-start-a-PlayBook-a-knottyrope-tip/td...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SteveGosch

>Day 2: Eureka! its up to 47% !! 

There was more to this battery-non-charging saga that may be useful to other PlayBook owners with similar issues:

Events since the '47% charged' reported above:

* It didn't charge any higher, but dropped to 42% after a bit of use, then eventually 35% - whenever it was off the charger it dropped; when it was on, it remained steady (not gaining, but not loosing charge).

* After several days of putting it on the charger with the PlayBook at different angles (landscape; porttrait), always making sure the cable was at rightangles to the side of the unit (since it is a loose fit), it did eventually charge again getting to 82%, but then started falling over several days, yet again.

The Charger that came with the PlayBook is the International/universal version (i.e. for Australian 240V power) that plugs into the USB port, and it is fairly loose-fitting (a passing child has blocked it out on one occasion, which wouldn't have helped, but wasn't a big deal), so I took a gamble that the Charger was probably not connecting properly, EVEN THOUGH it always indicated it WAS charging (via the lightning-bolt-thru-the-battery symbol)  - it clearly was NOT charging in the majority of those times I had it connected?

I noticed in a web-based Review of the PlayBook in which the reviewer '"loved the magnetic clip-on power connection, like the MacBook Pro" - and then realised that the other 3-prong port was the proper charging port, and my original power-supply was simply using the loose- fitting USB port (other USB cables connected to it are tight-fitting, so the socket on the charger-cable is the weakness in it). Hence, if I bought the 'PlayBook Rapid Charging Pod' it would use that other magnetic connection, with a high-chance it would solve my intermittent battery charges - AND charge it twice as fast as a bonus, AND provide a handy stand for hands-free viewing.

So I placed an online Order for the 'PlayBook Rapid Charging Pod' at ShopBlackBerry.com.  It was going to cost me $45 DHL shipping, unless I upped my Order a bit, to qualify for 'Free DHL Shipping' - so I ordered the 'High-Speed micro-HDMI 6ft Cable' as well, which looked like a mighty handy addition.

I placed the online order last Thursday. It shipped from the BB Netherlands distribution centre on the Friday, and I received it in outer Melbourne, Australia on the Monday just after.

Sure enough, the Rapid Charging Pod charger me PlayBook battery up to 99% in about 2 hours.

It now consistently charges the PlayBook everytime and quickly.

Therefore: my original problem was the International/universal USB charger (specifically its connection) which came with the PlayBook: it consistently indicated it WAS charging (via the lightning-bolt-through-the-battery symbol)  - when it clearly was NOT about 90 percent of the time. 

So the Problem now solved (via the Rapid Charging Pod).

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

[ Edited ]

i have went through 3 playbook chargers with my kids, seems the kids just rip them out when they should not. I am buying just bought the magnetic chargers now.

glad to see you have your problem solved now

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BP4567
My Device: blackberry playbook

Thanks for this, but I just sent my playbook off for repair.  I am hoping that the problem will be fixed.  It seems to have something to do with the charging port.  What a frustrating experience this has been.  It's a crime there is no repair service in Canada...afterall Blackberry is a Canadian company. 

Please use plain text.