Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16mb
My Carrier: Rogers

Bell Data Usage Billing Issue!

HELP!!

We have a BIG problem with our Bell Mobility account!

I have Blackberry Playbook which I use with a Bell Internet stick and a D-Link 412 (mobile wireless router). We live in a rural area and the D-Link is password protected (caps & #s). We also have an Acer netbook that was used on the D-Link 412.

We have two Bell Internet sticks a 760 and 998 ... just before the problem began we transferred the cell # which was hardwired into the 760 to a new SIM card for the 998 and then retired the 760. 

We are computer literate and we were on the Bell Internet stick flex plan as we are VERY aware of not downloading large files, streaming movies etc.

On Nov 20th there were 186 connections within a short period of time then again on the 21st there were 308 connections ... then the fun began - it started with fairly minor downloads of 540mb on the 22nd and every day thereafter, starting on the 27th things went ballistic and by the 13th of Dec we were at 32gb. We are looking at a current BELL bill in $700 range.

We have only called Bell once yesterday and talked to billing which were very pleasant and said basically they were probably updates for Windows/Java/Adobe and that we should not download movies and watch u-tube - DUH!

We didn't have any 3rd party apps running to monitor cell usage ... plan to put the Bell Internet stick into my netbook and check what records are on the USB stick ... what other things can I check.

How should we prepare our case to tackle Bell? ... was going to call technical support next then head over to the local Bell store to talk with the manager there?

Don't think our D-Link was hacked as we are in a rural area and nobody can park nearby etc and too far from neighbours. Could Bell find out which tower was used when the downloads occurred? Is it possible that when we got the new SIM card in the 988 Bell Internet stick that somehow we became vulnerable?

We would appreciate ALL advise at this stage!!

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: Bell Data Usage Billing Issue!

thats a big problem.  I don't see how you could have download 32GB that way.  thats a lot of youtube.  You'll have to head to office for that one.  Maybe they can swap out those internet sticks for 1 MiFi to make things easier.  I still don't have a clue how all that data was downloaded.  the only thing I can think of is a torrent application, but you know that would use a lot of data. 

My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

win a Can type antennae, you can hit a wifi at about 2000 feet. My buddy used to steal wifi from a neighbor across a lake.

if on WEP encryption, it can be cracked in 5 min with linux.

I have seen a few issues with carrier with incorrect billing so stick to your guns.

Your wifi router might have logs of what devices have been connected to it, that will tell if it was hacked.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16mb
My Carrier: Rogers

UPDATE

My partner has been dealing with Bell now - much better than I am! ... she elevated up fairly high in both tech support and billing ... she brought up why were we not contacted when our usage 'spiked' - she said there was a long pause at the other end and they offerred to half the bill ... we are on a flex plan as we don'tuse the Bell Internet stick very often and when we do it is below 500mb ... she also said we would go to the press etc and cancel our other two bell phones and Internet service at home ... so Bell agreed to a technical review of our data useage.

As I mentioned before all of this started the day after we got a new SIM card for our Bell 998 Internet Stick ... wonder if the SIM card serial # was some how compromised in the purchase from the Bell Aliant store in small town New Brunswick ... plot thickens!

The D-Link 412 does not keep any sort of data useage history ... checked the router and I'm running WPA2 secuirity and our password is caps & #s ... can I somehow access the amount of data (packets) that were transferred to my Blackberry Playbook and Acer Netbook during the period in question?

For those in Ontario there is a new bill that was just given 2nd reading in Ontario which covers in our case the obligation to contact clients when usage is abnormal ... here is the link http://www.davidorazietti.onmpp.ca/RELDEC12011.htm.

Would appreciate any other thought people have!!

Super Contributor
My Device: 32gb playbook
My Carrier: shaw

Super Contributor
My Device: 32gb playbook
My Carrier: shaw

if win...

http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-read-windows-log-files.html

Essentially the os keeps track of (logs) all events and with the right eye these can be decoded into the data you seek.

Logs are automatically discarded to perserve system efficiency...And I can only hope this arrived in time. To the birds and the bees and everything the eyes might see...&...