Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
Meglion
My Device: Playbook, Tour 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

BestBuy Pre-Order Return Deadline is May 2nd - Will You Keep it or Return it?

Hi, all -

I'm really wrestling with this question and would love to know what others are thinking.  My PB works as well as can be expected (i.e. hasn't frozen or had any other OS problems), but I'm really worried that I will have spent over $800 (including cases, chargers, etc.)  on a beta version that in six months or so is going to be subject not only to a software overhaul, but a hardware one.  How do I make this decision?

Please use plain text.
New Developer
koolrosh
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Fido

Re: BestBuy Pre-Order Return Deadline is May 2nd - Will You Keep it or Return it?

You shouldnt be worried about a hardware overhaul since at this point the PlayBook is the most powerful tablet out there. The only thing that is missing on the tablet are Apps and i am confident they will come especially when support for Android Apps is enabled. Even without Android you can see that new apps are added everyday to the playboom. Rim has also said that they are working on a number of exclusive apps:
http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&ct2=us/0_0_s_0_0_t&usg=AFQjCNGpHLCq8oj7Mqmi2hj_8elGeZT5MA&did=4...
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BlackhawksFan
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: ATT

Re: BestBuy Pre-Order Return Deadline is May 2nd - Will You Keep it or Return it?

See discussion in 'Does anyone else feel ripped off?' 

Plenty of pros and cons for you to think about.

I returned mine...

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
scocam
My Device: Playbook 16
My Carrier: alaint

Return it and get another...you have new warrant yplus another 2 weeks to return it....

eastcoastcreative
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
ceroberts75
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n/a

hopefully i recieve my free pb that i won this week, because i have to return my current playbook this wednesday before the 14 days is up!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Meglion
My Device: Playbook, Tour 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

Thanks to all of you - your suggestions and thoughts were enormously helpful.  I decided to return the PB yesterday: I feel a little regretful that it wasn't all it was purported to be, especially regarding Kindle after all those September announcements that a Kindle app would be available, as well as a way to use Android apps.  I am more of a recreational user than a business one, at least for now, and to not even have an e-reader app that I liked, independent e-mail, or an intuitive keyboard that would capitalize beginnings of sentences just made this tablet way too "raw" for me.  I bought the Galaxy Tab instead, which gives me the option of a month-to-month 3G plan with Verizon, came pre-loaded with Kindle, and is just slightly lighter than the PB.  I have 30 days to play with this one, and if I don't like it, to see what else is out there by that point.  But keeping the PB felt like WAY too much of a leap of faith for me at this point.  Will be curious to hear others' decisions.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
koolrosh
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Fido

Just today RIM announced a new Facebook App  and a new Video chatting App for the PlayBook coming as of this week, with a promise of more apps to come within the next weeks.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
RandomHero
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: rogers

I noticed that there was a post about the new Facebook and Video Chat application for the BlackBerry PlayBook. Below are links to the the press releases for these items:

Facebook Application for BlackBerry PlayBook: http://bbry.lv/iBOioW

Video Chat Application for BlackBerry PlayBook: http://bbry.lv/iMHk3S

Cheers,

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Meglion wrote:

Thanks to all of you - your suggestions and thoughts were enormously helpful.  I decided to return the PB yesterday: I feel a little regretful that it wasn't all it was purported to be, especially regarding Kindle after all those September announcements that a Kindle app would be available, as well as a way to use Android apps.

For the Amazon Kindle, you can use the online web browser:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Kindle-Cloud-Reader/m-p/1249433

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.