Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
bs342
My Device: Torch 9800 / PlayBook / Z10
My Carrier: O2 UK

Re: BlackBerry 10 on PlayBook

bsarider wrote:
Don't hold your breath waiting on any software upgrades for the BB10. Why would Blackberry want spend their time an money on a product that will soon be obsolete? I don't see store shelves loaded with PBs and there are not all that many of them around as iPODs or Galaxys.
Also these PBs are plagued with design issues such as the usb/charge port.failing, and camera 4003 errors that seemed to have popped up. Also email crashes more often then it should, Wifi connectivity is poor, Web browsing is not the best and slow, and there are not that many great Apps available. Big hint, is there aa flood of software developers working on PB Apps?
A few of my friends also experience the same problems and some have moved on the other tablets with good results,
So rather then waiting for an software upgrade, research the other tablets that are available and what Apps are available.
Samsung has a ton of Apps as well as Apple.
Time to move on folks!
P.S. My camera also stopped working after the last fw upgrade and BB. Says it is a HW problem. Both front and rear cameras at the same time? $150 to repair. That's $150 towards another tablet for me.

I hope there is no truth in your prediction, I remain faithful and hopeful.  If however BlackBerry fail to support the PlayBook In the way they promised then it's a Windows Surface for me. 

BlackBerry is for Life not just for Christmas
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

bsarider wrote:
P.S. My camera also stopped working after the last fw upgrade and BB. Says it is a HW problem. Both front and rear cameras at the same time? $150 to repair. That's $150 towards another tablet for me.

The camera is setup in such a way that BOTH cameras operate through one joined board. So yes, it is completely possible that if one goes, the other goes too. See step #12 for a photo of this in the iFixit tear down on page 2. http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/BlackBerry+PlayBook+Teardown/5265/2

To quote them "The front camera, rear camera, and top control buttons are all attached as one assembly, making the replacement of a broken power button or volume buttons very costly."

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
bs342

"Just Not Sure When"  :Sleep1:

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/blackberry-playbook-will-definitely-be-upgrad...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bsarider
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

Thanks for that weblink.  Can the replacement parts be purchased for the Playbook?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

bsarider wrote:

Thanks for that weblink.  Can the replacement parts be purchased for the Playbook?

You're welcome for the weblink.

You know, the only parts I've seen available have been through eBay so perhaps have a look on there. Available through official channels? I have no idea and I highly doubt you can buy one from BlackBerry themselves. There are non-working/booting units available through eBay that you could salvage and scrounge parts off of. I saw a lot (grouping) of 1000 devices on there available for $3000. Not like that helps you, but my point is someone was out there doing repair services and had available parts so if you can search for PlayBook Repair Service through Google, then perhaps you might find a solution that is affordable. In my opinion, it may cost too much to do versus getting a decent second hand unit through eBay, Kijiji or some other retail or classified ad service.

UPDATE:  I went to eBay and did a search for PlayBook camera and low and behold there are several for between $11-16 or so dollars...no kidding! http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xplaybook+camera&_nkw=playbook+ca...

So with the help of the iFixit article I gave you earlier, and lots of patience on your part to take it apart, replacing the whole camera unit with one bought through eBay, MAY give you some camera action...or it may not. But I think it's worth the investment to try in my opinion...good luck.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bsarider
My Carrier: None

Great, thanks for that info! I have taken the plunge and will attempt the repair once the replacement part arrives.

I don't know how the Chinese do it but $11 including free shipping looks like a bargain. One US seller wanted over $40 to ship the part to Canada. I am not in a hurry since I use my phone's camera so I sould get the part in 3 weeks.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine

[ Edited ]

bsarider wrote:

Great, thanks for that info! I have taken the plunge and will attempt the repair once the replacement part arrives.

I don't know how the Chinese do it but $11 including free shipping looks like a bargain. One US seller wanted over $40 to ship the part to Canada. I am not in a hurry since I use my phone's camera so I sould get the part in 3 weeks.

You're welcome! I sure hope it works - when you get it, and perform the transplant surgery, let us know if it's successful. I'm genuinely curious if this is a possible (and affordable) fix for others brave enough to try it for themselves.

The good news is that the iFixit article gives the PlayBook a 7/10 repair score with 10 being easiest. Couple that with some YouTube videos (I've seen repair guides on there) and you should be fine. I've dissasembled laptops many times and you end up with so many pieces that it can be hard to track things down in reverse. My adivce to you on that is to use your cellphone camera to take snap shots to refer to (in stages) if you get stuck. Then it's like a Where's Waldo matching game after that - matching what you see in the photos with what you have in parts and you should be alright. 

Oh, and I agree, I have no idea how the Chinese can afford to sell and ship the products over here for so cheap. I recently bought a 300mbps wi-fi extender from China and though I don't have it yet (only week two of waiting - it takes three to get to Canada) the reviews of the product on the Internet and Youtube are quite encouraging. It was only $17...crazy!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
MountainDew
My Carrier: Telus

This link references a report last January. It is 6 months later without any other word, except Thorsten said it was difficult to make money on tablets. I now have my doubts. 

So we know cost of the upgrade is an issue. Would you 'pony up', say $49.99 for a BB10 upgrade to the playbook? 

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

MountainDew wrote:

So we know cost of the upgrade is an issue. Would you 'pony up', say $49.99 for a BB10 upgrade to the playbook? 

When OSX major upgrade is half that price, no!

$4.99 probably yes. 

MountainDew wrote:

This link references a report last January. It is 6 months later without any other word, except Thorsten said it was difficult to make money on tablets. I now have my doubts. 

No, I do not give money to people who lie to me nor do business with those who misinform me. It is 6 months since the launch of BlackBerry 10, it is time BlackBerry made an announcement good or bad. No excuses for silence, none whatsoever so please, if anyone at BlackBerry reads this then give us some news. 

Please use plain text.